Executing Agency (Client): State Communal Enterprise Kostanay Su
The Client Contact Person: Kurs Yuriy Igorevich
+7 3142 221700
The EBRD Contact Person:
Advisor, Technical Co-operation
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 7556
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the “EBRD” or the “Bank”) has developed an investment project (the “Project”) together with the GKP Kostanay Su (the “Company”) and the Akimat of Kostanay Oblast to modernise the water and waste water system in the City of Kostanay (“Kostanay” or the “City”) in the Republic of Kazakhstan. The Company, a water distribution and wastewater treatment company, is 100% owned by the Akimat of the City of Kostanay (the “City Akimat”).
The Project envisages improvements to the City’s water and wastewater system through the Priority Investment Programme implementation comprising, inter alia, of the following: (i) modernisation of the water intake and water disinfection facilities, (ii) modernisation of the wastewater pumping stations, (iii) modernisation of water treatment plant (iv) partial rehabilitation of the water and wastewater networks and other infrastructure, and (v) procurement and installation of SCADA systems.
The Client now intends to retain a consulting company (the "Consultant") to support the Company to set up and oversee the Project Implementation Unit ("PIU") in all aspects of Project implementation, including preparation of design, technical specifications, tender documentation, assistance with tendering, tender evaluation and contract finalisation, administration and supervision of the contract implementation, as well as set up of the disbursement system (the “Assignment”).
The expected outcome of the Assignment is the successful procurement of works and goods in accordance with the EBRD’s Procurement Policies and Rules, and successful and timely completion of the Project.
The selected Consultant is expected to provide the following services:
- Review and make recommendations on updates (when necessary) to the Project Procurement Plan, including updating of initial cost estimates and setting priorities between the Project components.
- Review the existing designs and/or prepare missing designs for the water production facilities and the water transmission/distribution networks rehabilitation in accordance with Kazakh construction norms and requirements for procurement of Works.
- Assist the Company in developing tender documents (including, but not limited to, design, requirements and technical specifications, Environmental Health Safety and Security (EHSS) requirements for contractors), carrying out tender procedure, preparing evaluation report and contract, and submit the necessary documents to the Company and EBRD for their concurrence and “no-objection”.
- Provide overall project management support to the Company to co-ordinate, manage, monitor and evaluate all aspects of the Project.
- Ensure that the Company will arrange payments to the contractor, to whom payment has been certified, to ensure that all such payments are made in due time, and that appropriate control and record systems are in place to ensure compliance with financiers and the country reporting requirements.
- Provide support for the supervision of works and administration of contracts.
- Support the arrangement of timely disbursements under the contracts.
Status of Selection Process:
Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration:
The Assignment is expected to start in 3Q 2016 and has an estimated overall duration of 36 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment:
EUR 500,000 (exclusive of VAT).
The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
It is expected that the Assignment will be funded by EBRD’s donor funded programme. Please note selection and contracting will be subject to the availability of funding.
Eligibility: No eligibility restrictions.
Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with preferably previous project experience related to:
- The provision of project implementation support, engineering design services and contract supervision services, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector; and
- projects involving the procurement policies and rules of international financial institutions (such as the EBRD, World Bank or others) as applicable for construction and supply & installation projects.
The Consultant’s expert team is expected to include key experts as follows:
- Key Expert No 1 Project Manager with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in design and project management in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
- Key Expert No 2 IFI Procurement, Contracts Specialist with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in design, project management, supervision of construction and supply and installation of the equipment in similar projects gained in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
- Key Experts No 3 IFI Financial and Disbursement Specialist with preferably ten years or more of previous comparable professional experience in the municipal water and wastewater sector.
- Key Expert No 4 International and Local Municipal Water Engineers with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
- Key Expert No 5 International and Local Municipal Water Designers with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
- Key Expert No 6 Environmental and Social Experts preferably with preferably ten years or more of previous comparable professional experience in the successful implementation of similar assignments and with demonstrated knowledge of environmental and social standards of the EBRD or other comparable institutions.
- Key Expert No 7 Supervision Engineers preferably with five years or more of previous comparable professional experience in the administrative supervision of similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
Fluency in Russian will be considered an advantage. It is essential that the Consultant’s team contains some experts fluent in Russian.
Non-key experts are expected to include an Office Manager /Translator/ Secretary.
In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken preferably in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding CVs Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English and Russian via email (pdf) to the Client’s contact person, to reach the Client not later than the closing date. One additional copy shall reach the Bank’s contact person by the same due date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The Client reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if any limitation on the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
- Firm’s previous project experience in project implementation support, engineering design services and contract supervision, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector – 35%;
- Firm’s previous experience in projects involving the procurement policies and rules of international financial institutions (such as the EBRD, World Bank or others)as applicable for construction and supply & installation projects – 10%;
- CV of Key Expert No 1 – 20%;
- CV of Key Experts No 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 - 30%;
- Fluency in Russian by the Consultant’s team – 5%.
3. The Bank reserves the right to exclude any consultant who may have previously worked on TCs related to this investment project in accordance with EBRD's Procurement Policies and Rules.