Executing Agency (Client): GKP "Taraz Su"
Project Description: GKP "Taraz Su" (the "Client") together with the Akimat of Zhambyl Oblast (the “Oblast Akimat”) and the Akimat of Taraz City (the “City Akimat”) have requested the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the EBRD or the Bank) to provide financing for the Taraz Water project that encompasses the upgrade the water services in the City of Taraz (“Taraz” or the “City”) in the Republic of Kazakhstan (the “Project”).
The Client, а sole water distribution and waste water utility in the City, is 100 per cent owned by the City Akimat. The company was founded in 2000 on the base of the then existing water and wastewater enterprise established in 1950s.
Assignement Description: The Client now intends to retain a consulting company (the Consultant) to support the Company to improve its commercial standing, service and environmental and social performance by helping to identify and implement the necessary corporate, financial and operational improvements required to meet the related covenants included in the EBRD finance documents.
The selected Consultant is expected to provide the following services:
- Development and introduction of a Public Service Contract (“PSC”) between the City and the Company. The PSC will outline the rights and obligations of the Company and the City Akimat, based on a set of key performance indicators with the aim to improve the operational and financial performance of the Company and the level of services to be provided to the population of the City.
- Explore possibility and develop an action plan to attract a private operator with the aim to advance the management performance for more cost effective services.
- Development and implementation of a Financial and Operational Performance Improvement Programme (“FOPIP”).
- Development and adoption of a Corporate Business Plan.
- Development and introduction of a Management Information System (“MIS”).
- Implementation of а Stakeholder Participation Programme ("SPP").
- Development and adoption of the tariff calculation methodology. In communication with the Tariff Consultant, the Consultant shall assist the Company to develop a medium-term focused corporate development plan to improve its corporate planning capacity and to assist its on-going transition towards becoming a self-sustaining entity achieving commercial operations.
The Consultant will also co-operate with the City Akimat to implement the covenants stipulated under the signed Project Support Agreement (“PSA”).
Finally, the Consultant shall assist the Company in the analysis of the baseline social situation of the vulnerable section of the population and the impact of the project on these groups, and in connection to this assess any impact of the project on the equality between men and women.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in Q2 2016 and has an overall duration of 36 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 235,000 (exclusive of VAT). The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: Government of Kazakhstan and EBRD TC Account under the Enhanced Partnership Framework Arrangement (“EPFA”).
Eligibility: There are no eligibility criteria.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with preferably previous project experience related to:
a) Development and implementation of corporate development programmers of a comparable nature, scale and complexity to the Assignment;
b) Development and implementation of a FOPIP in organizations comparable to the Client;
c) Drafting and implementing Public Service Contract in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan;
d) Project management of complex assignments in organizations comparable to the Client and involving multiple stakeholders.
The Consultant’s expert team is expected to include the following key experts:
Key Experts No 1: International and Local Project Manager / Technical Expert with:
- preferably 5 years or more of previous professional experience in project management of complex assignments in organisations comparable to the Client and involving multiple stakeholders; and
- preferably 5 years or more of previous professional experience in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions similar to Kazakhstan.
Key Experts No 2: International and Local Finance Experts with preferably 5 years or more of previous professional experience in comparable assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector.
Key Experts No 3: Environmental Expert and Social/Labour Experts with preferably 5 years or more of previous professional experience in the successful implementation of comparable assignments and with demonstrated knowledge of the environmental and social standards of the EBRD or other comparable institutions.
Key Expert No 4: Water Management Institutional and Regulatory Expert with preferably 5 years or more of previous professional experience in the successful implementation of similar assignments.
The pool of other key experts will consist of economist, legal expert.
All key experts shall be fluent in written and spoken English. It is essential that the Consultant’s team contains some experts fluent in Russian.
Non-key experts are expected to include Office Manager/ Translator/Secretary.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding CVs Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English and Russian via email (pdf) to the Client’s contact person, to reach the Client not later than the closing date. One additional copy shall reach the Bank’s contact person by the same due date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The Client reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if any limitation on the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
The Client Contact Person:
Mr. Marat Smailov, General Director
GKP "Taraz Su"
136 Kazybek Bi street, Taraz City
Tel: +7 (7262) 453-537
Ms Gulmira Mukhatova, Economist
GKP "Taraz Su"
136 Kazybek Bi street, Taraz City
Tel: +7 (707) 428-4423
The EBRD Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6338
E-Mail : GoslingL@ebrd.com
1. The selection will normally be made from resonses to this notification only. Consultants will not be asked to submit a proposal. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and invited to negotiate the contract, subject to confirmation of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
a) Firm’s previous experience in development and implementation of corporate development programmers of a comparable nature, scale and complexity to the Assignment – 25%;
b) Firm’s previous experience in development and implementation of a FOPIP in organizations comparable to the Client – 15%;
c) Firm’s previous experience in drafting and implementing Public Service Contract in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan – 15% ;
d) Firm’s previous experience in project management of complex assignments in organizations comparable to the Client and involving multiple stakeholders – 10%
e) CV of Key expert No 1 – 20%;
f) CVs of Key expert No 2, No 3 and No 4 – 15%.