*Please note that the deadline for submission of Proposals is now extended until 28 June 2019 at 12h London time*
Single Stage Open Competitive Selection- Request for Proposals
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the “EBRD” or the “Bank”) as part of its commitment to the development of the Renewable Energy sector in Lebanon as a sustainable and more cost efficient electricity solution, identified based on previous investigation conducted by the American University in Beirut (the “AUB”), the Tufail region as a region with solar PV potential (the “Project”).
Key characteristics of the region that makes it a possibly suitable land for development of solar PV project:
· The availability of 10-15 km of elevated flat land with high solar irradiation;
· Ownership of the land by Banque du Liban;
· Proximity of the land to the Lebanese grid network, with two potential connection options;
· Proximity of the site to neighboring countries, which offers options for connecting to networks in those countries and to trade electricity.
In the context of the Project the EBRD intends to engage a consultant (the “Consultant”) in order to conduct a feasibility study for the development of solar PV project in Tufail region, with a final report covering the main of legal, technical, commercial, environmental, and social scope of such project (the “Assignment”).
Full Terms of Reference (TOR) of the Assignment can be found here: http://www.ebrd.com/documents/procurement/78412-tors.docx
Consultant Selection Procedure: Single stage open competitive selection. Interested Consultants are invited to submit a Technical and Financial Proposal.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in June, 2019 and has an estimated overall duration of 9 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 125,000 (exclusive of VAT).
but including any costs i.e.travel, translation, etc.
The Consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the special status of the Bank as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a Consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed by the EBRD’s Shareholder Special Fund (the “SSF”). Please note that subject to availability of funding, the performance of the selected Consultant and the business needs, the Assignment may be extended beyond the current scope.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions based on the consultant's nationality.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms preferably with previous project experience and expertise related to:
A) Legal and financial expertise, with experience in non-recourse financing of renewable energy projects.
B) Technical expertise on renewable energy projects, preferably with experience of acting as Owner’s Engineers (OE) and in providing assistance to grid operators on technical aspects of RE projects; Experience in the power sector in Lebanon will also be required;
C) The power sector of Lebanon, including knowledge of the legislative and regulatory setting and familiarity with the network and grid code.
D) Regional electricity market and different contracts between Lebanon and neighboring countries concerning the electricity purchase.
The Consultant's expert team is expected to include the following key experts (the 'Key Experts'):
1) Key Expert 1: Team Leader – Expert in the development of renewable energy projects with preferably:
· at least 10 years’ experience in project management, specifically in projects related to the power sector;
· proven experience in leading a team of experts and the ability to demonstrate adequate project management skills, managerial skills and team leading experience;
· fluent in English; and
· considerable experience in the design and delivery of renewable energy projects (in particular, solar PV).
2) Key Expert 2: Commercial/Financial Expert(s) – Expert in the financing of renewable energy projects with preferably :
· at least 5 years of experience of advising on the financing of renewable energy projects;
· experience of financial modelling and assessing the financial feasibility of renewable energy projects; and
· fluent in English.
3) Key Expert 3: RES Technical Expert(s) with preferably:
· at least 5 years of experience in working on technical characteristics of solar PV generation (for example, conducting site assessments);
· and on assessing grids; and
· Fluent in English
4) Key Expert 4: Legal Expert(s) with preferably:
· at least 5-10 years of experience in advising on renewable energy financing;
· local (related to Lebanon) and regional expertise and experience in the legal sector of Renewable Energy regulations; and
· fluent in English and Arabic or French.
All the key experts are expected to have strong communication skills, be fluent in English and, preferably, have experience in past projects within the SEMED region.
Submission Requirements: Interested Consultants are now invited to submit a completed Technical and Financial Proposal as per the standard templates and instructions available at this link http://www.ebrd.com/documents/procurement/single-stage-package.docx.Interested Consultants should make themselves familiar with these Standard Templates, Standard Instructions and Conditions of Contract in preparation of their proposals.
1. The Technical Proposal shall be submitted in English electronically via eSelection not later than the Closing Date, as one single PDF file. The technical proposal should not exceed 25 pages excluding the Declaration Form and CVs (Form 1- TP 1 and Form 1 – TP 6).
2. The Financial Proposal (Form 2 – FP 1 and FP2) shall be submitted in English separately by email only to the Bank Contact Person. Consultants are reminded of the requirement to ensure the confidentiality of the Financial Proposals.
3. A Technical Proposal that contains elements of a financial proposal shall be declared non-responsive.
4. A Financial proposal submitted together with the technical proposals via e Selection shall be declared non-responsive.
Bank Contact Person:
Aspasia Tsekeri, (Ms)- Associate Advisor
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
For the avoidance of doubt, technical proposals should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address. Financial proposals should be sent to this email address and NOT through eSelection.
Deadline to Submit Clarification Questions: Via e-mail to the Bank Contact Person by two weeks before the deadline for submissions at the latest
Selection Method and Evaluation Criteria:
1. Technical Proposal Evaluation Criteria
(a) Firm's previous project experience in similar assignments (25%)
(b) Quality of the methodology proposed for the Assignment (35 %)
(c) CVs of the Key Experts (40 %).
The minimum technical score (St) required to pass is 70
2. Opening of Financial Proposals
After the technical evaluation is completed, only the submissions which score 70 or above of the total marks available for the technical criteria will be eligible to have their financial proposals opened.
3. Combined Technical and Financial Evaluation
The lowest evaluated Financial Proposal (Fm) is given the maximum financial score (Sf) of 100. The formula for determining the financial scores (Sf) of all other Proposals is calculated as follows:
Sf = 100 x Fm/ F, in which “Sf” is the financial score, “Fm” is the lowest evaluated Financial Proposal, and “F” the price of the Proposal under consideration.
Proposals are then ranked according to their combined technical (St) and financial (Sf) scores using the weights (T = 80; F = 20) T + F = 100 as follows: S = St x T% + Sf x F%.
1. The proposal validity period is 120 days from the deadline date for the receipt of submissions. During this period, the Consultant shall maintain its original Proposal without any change, including the availability of the Experts, the proposed rates and the total price.
2.The selection will be made from the Proposals received in response to this notification only, on the basis of the submission requirements and selection criteria set out in this Procurement Notice. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected and invited to negotiate the contract, subject to availability of funding.
3. Any updates of and clarifications on this procurement notice shall be announced as updates on this notice, without any other notification. In the event of changes consultants will need to download the updated versions. Consultants are required to periodically check the notice for updates. Failure to take the updates into account while preparing the Proposal may result in disqualification or penalties to the scores in the evaluation