Project Description: The Visoko doo (the 'Company') supported by the Municipality of Visoko (the 'Municipality') approached the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the "Bank" or the "EBRD") with a request to assess the possibility of financing expansion of water supply system in Visoko. The Visoko Water Supply Project (the “Project”) plans to expand the water supply system and repair the existing network in the city of Visoko. This is expected to provide environmental and health benefits compared to the existing situation by improving the quality, reliability of drinking water supply and reducing water losses.
The Project’s priority investment programmes (the 'PIP') is estimated at around EUR 6 million where the Bank is planning to provide a loan up to EUR 4.5 million and would be co-financed by a capital grant of EUR 1.5 million from an international donor. The final amount of the investment needs for the Project will be confirmed and finalised as a result of this Feasibility Study. Preliminary assessment suggests the following investment components to be part of the Project: (i) expansion and modernisation the water supply facilities via introduction of energy efficient pumping equipment; (ii) installation and rehabilitation of the reservoirs; (iii) expansion water network and replacement the old pipeline; (iv) procurement and installation water meters and associated equipment.
The Bank wishes to engage a suitably qualified consultant (the "Consultant") to prepare a comprehensive feasibility study (FS) to review the design documentation and confirm that an appropriate technical solution has been proposed as the PIP. This review including long-term development plan will be based on documentation to be provided by the Company, and provide and evaluation its benefits, including assessing its environmental and social feasibility. The overall objective of the assignment is to prepare a FS for the Company and the Municipality, which the Bank can use to appraise the Project and take a decision on the prospective financing.
The Consultant shall undertake the following tasks:
3.1: Baseline Study;
3.2: Technical Assessment;
3.3: Long term investment strategy;
3.4: Priority Investment Programme (PIP);
3.5: Financial analysis;
3.6: Environmental and social assessment (ESA);
3.7: Resource Efficiency Assessment.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or groups of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in Q1 2015 and has an estimated overall duration of 4 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 74,500; exclusive of VAT. Subject to availability of funding, the performance of the selected Consultant and the specific needs of the Bank the Assignment may be extended beyond the current scope.
The consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank's special status as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed through the Technical Cooperation Fund of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy.
Eligibility: The Consultants recruited and financed by the resources of the Fund shall be citizens of the Federal Republic of Germany or employees of consulting firms registered in the Federal Republic of Germany. Local consultants from EBRD countries of operations, either individual or through a firm may be sub-contracted by eligible German Consultants. The amount used for the financing of such local consultants shall not exceed 35% of the contract amount.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required.
The Consultant shall be a firm with previous experience in advising on water supply projects, in particular in drafting Feasibility Studies, environmental assessments and PIP. It is essential that the Consultant has previous experience in the Western Balkans region.
The Consultant should ensure that the appropriately qualified experts are available, as required, for each of the different tasks outlined above. It is expected that an appropriately qualified team leader/water engineer, accompanied by both key and supporting experts, will lead the Assignment. Based on the fields of expertise and the tasks mentioned above, it is proposed that the team of the Consultant should consist at least of the following expatriate and local experts:
- Project Manager/Team Leader with a university degree or equivalent qualification with a minimum of 15 years professional experience in the field of water supply and wastewater management, with comprehensive experience of similar assignments in EBRD region, as well as in institutional and commercial management of water/wastewater Company. He/she should demonstrate management and administration experience, including experience with procedures of international financing agencies (preferably EBRD procedures). The large number of different tasks and the complexity of administrational procedures require a permanent presence of the Project Manager in the Country during the project period of intensive work on preparation of the FS.
- Financial specialists with knowledge of the public financing and modelling.
- Technical specialists and water and wastewater engineers.
- Environmental and Social experts with experience in ESIAs and E&S due diligence, health & safety, stakeholder engagement, public consultation and disclosure in the local context, gender and inclusion expertise, and/or resettlement expertise, in water/wastewater sector with experience of similar assignments and with recent track record in the region.
- Climate change expert with experience in evaluation in climate change.
- Institutional expert with experience of similar assignments.
- Resource efficiency expert with experience in water and waste water treatment.
- Legal expert with relevant experience in the areas of natural monopolies regulation and knowledge of Bosnia and Herzegovina tariff legislation.
- Local experts with good communication skills and evidenced technical knowledge of water supply and wastewater.
The Consultant should integrate local professional skills/cooperate with local consulting companies, in order to provide national experience. The Consultant shall engage Bosnian speaking staff on their team or arrange for translation/interpreting when necessary.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be selected for this Assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration), main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The above information should not exceed 25 pages excluding CVs and contact sheet.
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size is exceeded (4MB), the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Bank Contact Person:
TC Advisor, Technical Co-operation
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 8518
e-mail: email@example.com (submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. The selection will normally be made from responses to this notification only. Consultants will not be asked to submit a proposal. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and be invited to negotiate the contract, subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are:
(a) Firm’s previous project experience in similar assignments (30%)
(b) Firm's previous experience in the Western Balkans region (20%)
(c) CV of Key Experts with emphasis on the Project Manager, Water and Wastewater Engineers and Environmental and Social Experts (50%)