Project Description: The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the "EBRD" or the "Bank") is developing renewable energy project investments with project sponsors in its SEMED countries of operation such as Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia and Jordan. The Bank remains committed to supporting carbon market developments in its countries of operation. A contribution to the carbon market development would be made by supporting a number of carbon projects. The experiences of carbon projects would help to lay grounds for potential scale-ups. The Bank requires support is to assist in further developing the carbon market by developing an up scaled Clean Development Mechanism ("CDM") - based approach for carbon credits in the renewable energy sector, and to purchase carbon credits from such programmes/mechanisms.
Assignment Description: EBRD intends to engage a consultancy firm (the "Consultant") to provide technical assistance and carbon monetisation support to the renewable energy project sponsors, like Co-ordinating Managing Entity ("CME") and project sponsors under the Programme of Activity ("PoA") or coordinating institutions, subproject developers and other relevant stakeholders under a New Market Mechanism ("NMM").
The Consultant is expected to carry out the following tasks:
1.To develop, implement and purchase carbon credits from a carbon credit up scaled CDM-based approach in the renewable energy sector in one or more SEMED countries.
2.To contribute and support the carbon market development, by i) reviewing the carbon market options, including domestic use of carbon credits, and ii) developing of local capacity, in particular in the area of Monitoring, Reporting and Verification ("MRV") and in the management of large emission reduction programmes/mechanisms.
3.To contribute to the further development of an up scaled CDM based carbon credit instruments, such as PoAs under CDM or New Market Mechanism.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or groups of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in February 2016 and has an estimated overall duration of 36 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 1,500,000; exclusive of VAT.
The consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank's special status as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purhcased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that funding will come from the Spanish Green Carbon Fund (MCCF).
Eligibility: Consultancy firms shall be registered in Spain and all experts proposed must be either Spanish nationals or permanent residents of Spain. However, up to a maximum of 40% of the maximum contract amount may be used to finance local consultants (firms registered in one of the SEMED countries listed above and experts being of a nationality of a SEMED country or registered in one of these). Selection and the final contracting of consultants will be subject to the availability of funding from the donor.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms preferably with previous project experience relating to:
- policy development experience in supporting public administrations and international organisations in providing key policy recommendations in the field of renewable energy and carbon market development, preferably in EBRD countries of operations
- carbon project and programme development in the Clean Development Mechanism, carbon credits transactions with completed carbon credits deliveries,
- proven experience with renewable energy / wind projects, preferably in EBRD countries of operations, Training, knowledge transfer and know-how to ensure the long-term sustainability of the PoA/NMM.
The Consultant's expert team is expected to include key experts as follows:
A Project Manager with preferably 8 years of previous professional experience in managing and developing a carbon project/programme and in policy dialogue with governments and international authorities;
Technical Renewable Energy Expert with preferably 10 years of previous professional experience in the energy sector and specifically renewable energy projects.
A Commercial Carbon Transaction Manager with preferably 5 years of previous professional experience in commercial carbon credits transaction structuring for international, state and private sector parties.
A Legal Carbon Counsel in support of the carbon transaction and regulatory issue with preferably 5 years of previous professional experience in advising on carbon assets structuring and regulatory support activities.
A Policy Expert on Carbon Markets, Regulations and Pricing with preferably 5 years of previous professional experience in developing and implementing carbon markets, e.g. EU Emissions Trading Scheme, Joint-Implementation or Clean Development Mechanism.
A GHG MRV and Baseline Expert, including experience in CDM PoA transactions with preferably 5 years of previous experience and expertise in baseline studies (Project Design Documents), design of monitoring plans, the contracting of third party validation and verification, operational Greenhouse Gas monitoring, registry and issuance of carbon credits.
A Communications Expert with preferably 5 years of previous professional experience in international and national communications in both commercial and public sectors on climate change and preferably carbon markets.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be selected for this Assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
- Company/group of firms' profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-3 pages);
- Details of previous project experience or similar assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives;
- CVs of key experts who could be available to work on the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly preferably undertaken in the previous ten years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), experts months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives;
- Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The above information should not exceed 15 pages excluding CVs and contact sheet.
The complete expression of interest (including CVs and Contact Sheet) shall be one file (pdf or Word), not exceeding 4MB, to be uploaded to eSelection. The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Expressions of Interest shall be submitted, in English, electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date.
Bank Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 7088
(submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The evaluation criteria are as follows:
- Firm's experience in carbon project and programme development in the Clean Development Mechanism, a track record of carbon credits transactions with completed carbon credits deliveries, , proven experience with renewable energy / wind projects, preferably in EBRD countries of operations - 30%;
- Firm's policy development experience in supporting public administrations and international organisations in providing key policy recommendations in the field of renewable energy and carbon market development, preferably in EBRD countries of operations - 20%;
- CVs of key experts team - 50%.