The City of Tbilisi (the Client) has requested the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the EBRD or the Bank) to provide technical assistance for upgrading the standards of its solid waste management operations, including investing in the collection infrastructure, introducing recycling and upgrading the current landfill (the Project).
The Bank now intends to engage a consulting company (the Consultant) to assess the feasibility of the investment in solid waste management operations and prepare a bankable Project. In particular, the Consultant should prepare a detailed feasibility study including technical and financial aspects. This Project will be based on an effective least cost investment programme. The investment plan will be justified on the basis of thorough technical, financial and economic analysis. Furthermore, the Consultant will develop an efficient Project Implementation Plan, including procurement schedule, and carry out an energy saving assessment (including resource utilisation and the impact on GHG emissions) of the investment programme.
The Consultant will complete a detailed feasibility report, confirming the feasibility, affordability and safety of the Project including the technical, financial and economic feasibility of the proposed facilities.
The technical solutions to be applied have to base on the best available and reliable technology.
Specific objectives of the assignment shall include, inter alia:
- To review the needs in the City, definition and establishment of the area to be covered with the municipal solid waste management system;
- To carry out an alternative analysis for site and design selection and verify the suitability of any proposed technology as the best option for waste management, separation, recycling and disposal;
- To review and analyse the current situation of the waste treatment/separation/landfilling in Tbilisi in terms of condition of major equipment and facilities, recent past years performances, operation and maintenance (O&M) practices, capacity of the City to manage and address all relevant environmental and social risks and impacts, compliance with national laws and regulations and any liability issues;
- To prepare detailed investments on the basis of waste measurement and characterisation and recommendation of the most cost-effective waste management technology solutions;
- To advise regarding the most suitable commercially available technologies for efficient and environmentally and socially acceptable integrated waste management plant and to advise regarding the capabilities of the most prominent regional and other manufacturers of equipment that can be used for the Facilities;
- To prepare remediation/closure design and implementation plan for closing of the existing City landfill in Tbilisi, if required;
- Provide tender evaluation support for ongoing procurement activities for the new waste processing plant;
- Estimate potential reductions in Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions arising from utilisation of biogas from existing and planned waste management sites;
- To prepare financial projections for selected waste treatment facilities; the projections shall be fully consistent with the proposed Project, strategic development plan and be based on prudent assumptions on the Company revenues and expenditures. Financial projections shall include annual balance sheets, income and cash flow statements;
- To prepare implementation arrangements including the need of technical supervision, to be envisaged for the successful implementation of the project. Determination of an efficient implementation strategy for the investments under the Project;
- To explore the possibilities and challenges related to a decentralised ownership and control of the new facilities and all related activities including collection (ideally outsourced), tariff setting, and electricity generation.
The overall report should meet the requirements that will allow the Company to raise tariffs and include debt service under the proposed loan into the tariff structure.
The Consultant is expected to provide the following services:
1. Baseline Study
- Market Review
- Legal and Institutional Framework
- Demand and affordability assessment
- Waste Tariff Setting
- Green Electricity Tariff Setting
- Estimation on GHG emissions reductions and the impact of model shift
2. Investment Project
- Implementation plan
- Institutional development plan
- Assessment of the appropriateness of the proposed technologies
3. Financial Analysis
- Operational efficiency assessment
- Financial Projections
- Economic assessment
4. Project implementation plan
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The assignment is expected to start in June 2015 and has an estimated overall duration of 5 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 250,000; exclusive of VAT.
The consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank's special status as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purhcased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: Austrian Fund for Municipal Infrastructure.
Eligibility: Consultancy firms shall be entities registered in Austria and all experts proposed by the entity to work on the assignment must be either Austrian nationals or permanent residents of Austria. However, up to a maximum of 25% of the maximum contract amount may be used to finance services of local experts who are nationals of Georgia or consultancy firms of Georgia.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with previous project experience in developing modern 'solid waste management facility' projects, improvement in waste management practices, solid waste value recovery facilities, the financial and technical issues of the sector, investment and operating costs and practices, in accordance with the relevant Georgian and European Union environmental laws and standards.
The Consultant should have previous experience of similar assignments in Georgia and/or in Eastern Europe or the Caucasus region.
Based on the fields of expertise and the tasks mentioned above, it is proposed that the team of the Consultant should consist at least of the following expatriate and local experts:
- Project Manager/Team Leader with preferably 15 years professional experience in the field of waste management, and with comprehensive experience of similar assignments in Eastern Europe or the Caucasus, as well as in institutional and commercial management of waste management Company. He/she should demonstrate management and administration experience, including experience with procedures of international financing agencies (preferably EBRD procedures). The large number of different tasks and the complexity of administrational procedures require a permanent presence of the Project Manager in Georgia during the project period of intensive work on preparation of the Feasibility Study;
- Financial specialists with knowledge of the public financing and modelling;
- Technical specialists and solid waste management engineers;
- Climate Change Expert with extensive experience in evaluation in climate change;
- Institutional expert with experience of similar assignments;
- Legal expert with relevant experience in the areas of natural monopolies regulation and knowledge of Georgian tariff legislation;
- Local experts with good communication skills and evidence technical knowledge of modern waste management practice.
The Consultant's team should include experts fluent in Georgian language.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be selected for this assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms' profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration), main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
5. A copy of the Consultant's valid company registration certificate confirming that the firm is registered in Austria.
The above information should not exceed 25 pages excluding CVs and Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet.
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English, electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size is exceeded (4MB), the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Bank Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6765
e-mail: email@example.com (submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. The selection will normally be made from responses to this notification only. Consultants will not be asked to submit a proposal. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and be invited to negotiate the contract.
2. The evaluation criteria are as follows:
- Firm's practical experience in developing feasibility studies for IFIs and a good knowledge of IFI procedures and rules on public procurement and disbursement policies - 10%
- Firm's deep knowledge of the solid waste sector, with international experience, specifically institutional and legal framework aspects, local financial management standards, professional standards of technical knowledge internationally as well as in the region - 25%
- Qualifications and competence of the consultant's team of experts to include: project manager, technical specialists, financial analyst, climate change expert, legal expert, and local experts (with Georgian communication skills) - 65%