Clarification: Please kindly note that the deadline for the submission of Expressions of Interest is 11 May 2015, 5pm London time.
Assignment Description: The City of Nurek, with support from the Government of Tajikistan, has approached the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the "EBRD" or the "Bank") to request financing for a priority investment program to improve water and wastewater services in the Nurek City (the "City"). The City is located 70 km south east of Dushanbe with a total population of 57,300.
SUE "Obhoi nushoki va korrezi" of the city of Nurek (the "Company" or the "Client") was established on 26 July 2014 and as of August 2014 the Company started to operate as an independent business entity. The Company is the only entity providing water supply and wastewater treatment services to the population, organizations and enterprises in the City.
EBRD is considering a transaction consisting of a loan of USD 2.5 million from the Bank and a capital expenditure grant of USD 2.5 million from an international donor to finance a priority investment programme in water and wastewater operations (the "Project") in the City. The Project objectives are the following: (i) rehabilitate the water supply system and where applicable selected wastewater improvements; (ii) improve billing and collection efficiency; (iii) improve financial and operational management.
The Bank now seeks to engage a qualified consulting company (the "Consultant") to prepare a comprehensive Feasibility Study to determine a priority investment programme and evaluate its benefits, including assessing its environmental and social feasibility in waste and wastewater operations (the "Assignment")
The overall objective of the Assignment is to prepare a feasibility study for the Company and the City, which the Bank can use to appraise the Project and take a decision on the prospective financing.
In order to meet the objective above the Consultant shall undertake the following tasks:
Task 1: Baseline study. This task involves the review of the present management practices of the Company and status of the water and wastewater services in the City so as to identify and assess any risks that are associated with the Company and their existing operations. This review shall allow the Bank to better understand the present situation in institutional, legal and financial, as well as technical and environmental and social terms. The Study shall also identify respective needs and concerns of different disadvantaged groups and/or those with less voice, such as women, to be addressed in the design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of the project.
Task 2: Technical assessment. The Consultant shall describe and assess the key attributes of the current service and the service development over the last 3 years in (i) water supply services; (ii) water supply system; (iii) water treatment; (iv) wastewater services; (iv) wastewater system; (v) Wastewater Treatment, Sludge Management and Disposal.
Task 3: Long-term investment strategy. One of the primary objectives of this feasibility study is to ensure that the proposed immediate investments do not steer system improvements and expansions into directions contrary to the long-term development needs of the system. The objective of this task is, therefore, to outline a longer-term investment strategy, which would lead to least cost improvement of water and wastewater services within existing financial constraints, taking into account the anticipated impacts of climate change.
Task 4: Priority investment programme (PIP). Working from a draft outline strategic long-term investment programme identified above and other information available, the Consultant shall present, justify and develop in more technical detail the PIP for the period of 3 years, i.e. the period of 2016-2018.
Task 5: Financial analysis. The Consultant shall conduct its own financial analysis to obtain new data or verify the existing data, whenever necessary.
Task 6: Environmental and social assessment. Prior to undertaking the Environmental and Social Assessment, the Consultant is required to confirm the scope of PIP and screen the Project proposal against the EBRD’s Environmental and Social Policy (ESP) (2014) and associated Performance Requirements (PRs) to determine the project category (A or B). It is also required, that the Consultant will: identify existing and Project-related environmental and social impacts and risks carry out E&S Assessment and Audit and develop a draft E&S Assessment report; prepare a draft Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP), draft Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP) and draft Non-Technical Summary (NTS).
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in 2Q 2015 and has an estimated overall duration of 4 months.
Maximum Budget available for the Assignment: EUR 280,000 (exclusive of VAT).
The consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank's special status as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: Austrian Fund for Municipal Infrastructure.
Eligibility: Consultancy firms shall be entities registered in Austria and all experts proposed by the entity to work on the assignment must be either Austrian nationals or permanent residents of Austria. However, up to a maximum of 35% of the maximum contract amount may be used to finance services of local experts who are nationals of Tajikistan or consultancy firms of Tajikistan.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with previous project experience in:
1) implementing feasibility studies preferably for the water and wastewater sector;
2) the water and wastewater sector, preferably in the region.
The Consultant’s expert team is expected to include key experts as follows:
• Project Manager/Team Leader with a university degree or equivalent qualification and preferably with 8 years professional experience in the field of water supply and wastewater management, preferably with comprehensive experience of similar assignments in CA or the CIS, as well as in institutional and commercial management of water/wastewater Company. He/she should demonstrate management and administration experience, including experience with procedures of international financing agencies (preferably EBRD procedures). The large number of different tasks and the complexity of administrational procedures require a permanent presence of the Project Manager in the Country during the project period of intensive work on preparation of the Feasibility Study;
• Financial specialist with knowledge of the public financing and modelling;
• Technical specialist and water and wastewater engineers;
• Environmental and Social expert with experience in ESIAs and E&S due diligence, health & safety, stakeholder engagement, public consultation and disclosure in the local context, gender and inclusion expertise, and/or resettlement expertise, in water/wastewater sector with experience of similar assignments and with recent track record in the region Climate Change Expert with extensive experience in evaluation in climate change;
• Institutional expert with experience of similar assignments;
• Procurement expert with experience of similar assignments;
• Legal expert with relevant experience in the areas of natural monopolies regulation and knowledge of Tajikistan tariff legislation;
• Local experts with good communication skills and evidence technical knowledge of water supply and wastewater and environmental aspects.
The integration of local professional skills/cooperation with local consulting companies, in order to provide national experience, is encouraged – subject to eligibility restrictions as highlighted above. The Consultant shall arrange for translation/interpreting when necessary.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be selected for this Assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
5. A copy of the Consultant's valid company registration certificate confirming that the firm is registered in Austria.
The above information should not exceed 25 pages excluding CVs and contact sheet.
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English, electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date and time. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size is exceeded (4MB), the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Technical Cooperation Team
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 8518
Fax: +44 20 7338 7451
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. The selection will normally be made from responses to this notification only. Consultants will not be asked to submit a proposal. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and be invited to negotiate the contract, subject to availability of funding.
2. The evaluation criteria are as follows:
(a) Firm’s experience in implementing feasibility studies preferably for the water and wastewater sector (40%)
(b) Firm’s previous experience in the water and wastewater sector, preferably in the region (30%)
(c) CVs of key experts (30%)