Amendment dated 5/01/17: The Client's address is 53 Pobedy Street, 231300, Lida, Republic of Belarus
Executing Agency (Client):
The Unitary Enterprise Lida GUP JKH
The Client Contact Person:
Mr Evgeniy Bertsevich
Lida city unitary enterprise
53 Pobedy Street, 231300, Lida, Republic of Belarus
Tel: +375 44 7744503
Fax: +375 154 644409
The EBRD Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6338
Fax: +44 20 7338 7451
The Unitary Enterprise Lida GUP JKH (the “Company”) supported by the Government of Belarus (the “Government”) and the local administration (the “Rayispolkom”) approached the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the “EBRD”, or the “Bank”) with a request to finance the priority investments aimed at reconstruction and modernisation of the wastewater treatment facilities (the “PIP” or the ”Project”) to ensure compliance with the national and EU standards and HELCOM recommendations for effluent quality treatment. The Company’s operations include water supply and wastewater treatment, district heating and other socially important services in the city of Lida. The water supply and wastewater treatment services constitute around 20-25 per cent of the Company’s revenues.
The artesian water does not comply with sanitary norms of Belarus for iron and therefore requires iron removal. The sewage networks consist of 150 km pipes depreciated by about 62 per cent with 27 km of sewage networks requiring an immediate replacement. The wastewater treatment plant is operating close to its design capacity of 44,000 m3/day. The wastewater treatment plant was built in 1971 and consists of two separate biological activated sludge trains preceded by two mechanical screens and four sand removal tanks. In 2002 a second bio-sorption train without mechanical sedimentation was commissioned in operation.
The Project objective is to rehabilitate the existing wastewater treatment plant to achieve full compliance of the wastewater services with the national and EU standards and HELCOM recommendations.
The investments will be procured in accordance with the EBRD Procurement Policies and Rules for Public Sector Projects. A Project Implementation Unit (“PIU”) will be formed in the Company which will manage all procurement, as well as installation, construction and implementation of the investments.
To support the Company and the PIU in all aspects of Project implementation, including preparation of design, technical specifications, tender documentation, assistance with tendering, tender evaluation and contract finalisation, administration and supervision of the contract implementation including the implementation of the Environmental and Social Action Plan (“ESAP”), as well as set up of the disbursement system, the Company intends to hire a reputable consultancy firm or consortium of consultancy firms (hereinafter the “Consultant”).
The overall objective of this assignment is to facilitate the timely and effective implementation of the Project by rendering assistance to the Company in the implementation of the Project, including design, all aspects of procurement and disbursement, and environmental and social (“E&S”) requirements.
The Consultant shall perform the following main tasks:
- Overall project management support as required;
- Design the works and prepare technical specifications for goods;
- Support during the state approval process;
- Arrangement of preparation of the prequalification, if any, and tender documents for procurement of works and goods;
- Arrangement of the tendering procedure for works and goods in line with the approved designs including evaluation of tenders and drafting tender evaluation reports;
- Administration of contract implementation including, where appropriate, works supervision or assisting with works supervision;
- Arrangement of timely disbursements under the contracts; and,
- Assistance with the implementation of the Environmental and Social Action Plan.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in Q2 2017 and has an estimated overall duration of three years.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 650,000 (exclusive of VAT). The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed by the EBRD’s Shareholder Special Fund. Selection and contracting is subject to the availability of funding.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions.
Consultant Profile: The Consultant shall be responsible for mobilisation of qualified engineers, technicians and other professional staff with proven experience in administrative management, procurement, design and supervision of similar construction works and acquiring of equipment for water and wastewater rehabilitation projects in comparable climatic and geological conditions.
It is anticipated that the Consultant’s team shall include the following Key Experts with short-term support as required in other disciplines:
- Project Manager;
- IFI Procurement and Contracts Specialist;
- Water and Wastewater Engineers (Design);
- Finance/Disbursement Specialist;
- Engineers (Construction Supervision);
- Environmental and social specialist.
All experts shall have approximately 5 years’ experience of the activity, which they are proposed for in a similar position including:
- have design and project management experience gained in countries with climatic conditions similar to the project sites;
- have construction and supply experience gained in countries with climatic conditions similar to the project sites;
- have an extensive experience in design of water supply and wastewater projects;
- have knowledge and practical experience of FIDIC and/or World Bank/EBRD Supply and Installation and Works contractual arrangements;
- have experience in (i) planning and design activities; (ii) assistance with planning and design activities; (iii) project management; (iv) project management assistance; (v) engineering; (vi) procurement of goods, works and services;
- have a good knowledge of procedures and rules of procurement of international financial institutions, such as the World Bank, ADB or EBRD;
- have a good knowledge and understanding of EBRD’s environmental and social requirements and past experience of assistance in their successful implementation;
- have a good knowledge of requirements of Belarusian legislation concerning construction, financial, accounting and disbursement issues within the project implementation context;
- the Russian language skills for communication with the Client are necessary.
It is expected that the Consultant will engage a sufficient number of local engineers to support the international consultants in engineering supervision under multiple construction/works contracts in the participating cities.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives; contact details for verification purposes.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 20 pages (excluding CVs Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English and Russian via email (pdf) to the Client’s contact person, to reach the Client not later than the closing date. One additional copy shall reach the Bank’s contact person by the same due date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The Client reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if any limitation on the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
- Firm’s previous successful and verifiable project experience in administrative management, procurement, design and supervision of similar construction works and acquiring of equipment for water and wastewater rehabilitation projects in comparable climatic and geological conditions (40%)
- Firm’s previous experience in working with IFIs (20%)
- CVs of Key Experts (Project Manager, IFI Procurement and Contracts Specialist, Water and Wastewater Engineers (Design), Finance/Disbursement Specialist; Engineers (Construction Supervision), and Environmental and social specialist) (40%).