AMENDMENT ISSUED ON 1/12/2015: The correct Cost Estimate / budget for the Assignment is EUR 484,000.
Executing Agency: GKP "Taraz Su"
GKP "Taraz Su" (the "Client") together with the Akimat of Zhambyl Oblast (the “Oblast Akimat”) and the Akimat of Taraz City (the “City Akimat”) have requested the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the EBRD or the Bank) to provide financing for the Taraz Water project that encompasses the upgrade the water services in the City of Taraz (“Taraz” or the “City”) in the Republic of Kazakhstan (the “Project”).
The Client, а sole water distribution and waste water utility in the City, is 100 per cent owned by the City Akimat. The company was founded in 2000 on the base of the then existing water and wastewater enterprise established in 1950s.
The Client now intends to retain a consulting firm (the “Consultant“) to provide support in setting up a Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to handle all aspects of the Project implementation. Such support will include preparation of design, technical specifications, tender documentation, assistance with tendering, tender evaluation and contract finalisation, administration and supervision of the contract implementation, as well as set up of the disbursement system (the “Assignment“).
The expected outcome of the Assignment is the successful procurement of works and goods in accordance with the EBRD’s Procurement Policies and Rules and the successful and timely completion of the Project.
The selected Consultant is expected to provide the following services:
Stage I - Capacity Strengthening of the PIU, Design and Procurement:
- Review and make recommendations to the project Procurement Plan, including updating of initial cost estimates and setting priorities between the project components.
- Assist the Client in developing tender documents (including, but not limited to, design, requirements and technical specifications, EHSS requirements for contractors), carrying out tender procedure, preparing evaluation report and contract, and submit the necessary documents to the Client and EBRD for their concurrence and “no-objection”.
- Provide project management support to the Client to co-ordinate, manage, monitor and evaluate all aspects of the project, including project implementation and procurement, design in accordance with Kazakh construction norms and requirements and preparation of technical specifications, and implementation of the Environmental and Social Action Plan (“ESAP”).
Stage II - Contract Administration and Supervision of Implementation:
- Provide project management support to the Client to co-ordinate, supervise, manage, monitor and evaluate all aspects of the Project, including supervision of works and administration of contracts.
- Ensure that the Client will arrange payments to the contractor on time and in accordance with an appropriate control and record system.
Both Stages I and II:
- Ensure that all reports required by the EBRD for implementation of the project and the loan are submitted on schedule.
- Prepare, attend, minute and report on progress meetings with the Client and the various parties.
The Client is currently in the process of appointing an external consultant for the design and implementation of a Corporate Development Programme. The CDP and PIU consultants engaged for this Project are expected to liaise with each other as needed, to benefit from the shared information and save resources.
Status of Selection Process:
Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration:
The Assignment is expected to start in 2Q 2016 and has an estimated overall duration of 36 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment:
EUR 484,000 (exclusive of VAT). Subject to availability of funding, the performance of the selected Consultant and the specific needs of the Client, the Assignment may be extended beyond the current scope.
The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed by EBRD's donor funded Technical Cooperation Funds Programme. However consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding from an appropriate donor.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility criteria.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with preferably previous project experience related to:
- The provision of project implementation support, engineering design services and contract supervision services, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector; and
- projects involving the procurement policies and rules of international financial institutions (such as the EBRD, World Bank or others)as applicable for construction and Supply & Installation projects.
The Consultant’s expert team is expected to include key experts as follows:
- Key Expert No 1 International and local Project Managers with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in design and project management in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
- Key Expert No 2 International and local IFI Procurement, Contracts, Disbursement Specialists with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in design, project management, supervision of construction and supply and installation of the equipment in similar projects gained in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
- Key Expert No 3 International and Local Municipal Water Engineers with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
- Key Expert No 4 International and Local Municipal Water Designers with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
- Key Expert No 5 Environmental and Social Experts preferably with a minimum of ten years or more of previous comparable professional experience in the successful implementation of similar assignments and with demonstrated knowledge of environmental and social standards of the EBRD or other comparable institutions.
- Key Expert No 6 Supervision Engineers preferably with five years or more of previous comparable professional experience in the administrative supervision of similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
All Key Experts shall be fluent in written and spoken English. It is essential that the Consultant’s team contains some experts fluent in Russian.
Non-key experts are expected to include an Office Manager /Translator/ Secretary.
The Consultant shall be responsible for mobilisation of qualified engineers, technicians and other professional staff with the proven experience in the administrative management, procurement, design and supervision of similar construction works and acquiring the equipment for the projects in comparable climatic and geological conditions.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Client/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken preferably in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding CVs Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English and Russian via email (pdf) to the Client’s contact person, to reach the Client not later than the closing date. One additional copy shall reach the Bank’s contact person by the same due date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The Client reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if any limitation on the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
The Client Contact Persons:
Mr. Marat Smailov
GKP "Taraz Su"
136 Kazybek Bi street
Taraz City, Kazakhstan
+7 (7262) 453-537
Ms Gulmira Mukhatova
GKP "Taraz Su"
136 Kazybek Bi street
Taraz City, Kazakhstan
+7 (707) 428-4423
The EBRD Contact Person:
Senior Advisor, Technical Co-operation
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6338
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
- Firm’s previous project experience in project implementation support, engineering design services and contract supervision, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector – 40%;
- Firm’s previous experience in projects involving the procurement policies and rules of international financial institutions (such as the EBRD, World Bank or others)as applicable for construction and supply & installation projects – 20%;
- CV of Key Expert No 1 – 15%;
- CV of Key Experts No 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 - 25%.