Translated version of this PSD: Romanian
A EUR 250 million framework to co-finance water and wastewater investments in Romania under its relevant EU Large Infrastructure Operational Programme (LIOP). The global objective is to support the regional water operators to extend their area of service in smaller municipalities by bringing the water and wastewater infrastructure and services in line with EU standards.
Under this Framework, selected Romanian cities and counties are expected to: (i) upgrade and reform the water and wastewater systems in smaller municipalities (that did not benefit of major investments in the past), and (ii) improve the reliability of water infrastructure and services by eveloping a long term asset management approach.
The framework will continue the Bank's long-term commitment to support Romania in an effort to ring its water sector in line with EU laws, policies and practices. The Framework will assist Romania n fostering the absorption of EU funds by developing efficient structures for delivering infrastructure projects.
Transition will be derived from the cumulative impacts of individual sub-projects to achieve systemic reform, and will be based on the following elements:
Supporting regional water operators to integrate smaller municipalities (mostly rural agglomerations) in their area of service.
- Development of a long term asset management approach, including options to attract private sector expertise in the management of water losses and cost-efficiency improvements.
Sub-projects under the Framework will target regional water operators in Romania.
EBRD Finance Summary
Total Project Cost
Environmental and Social Summary
The Framework is not categorised under the 2014 Environmental and Social Policy; however, each sub-project will be categorised. The sub-projects are expected to bring substantial environmental, health and safety benefits to the subject cities and the surrounding communities. Each sub-project will be subject to appropriate due diligence to ensure compliance with EBRD PRs and relevant EU standards.
Pre-signing technical cooperation for due diligence, including:
- Technical and procurement Review.
- Environmental and social Review.
- Operational and financial due diligence and updated projections in light of the current financial environment.
- Legal and institutional due diligence on regionalisation of water services.
The estimated amount for these assignments is EUR 1.55 million and is proposed to be financed from the Bank's Infrastructure Project Preparation Facility (IPPF). It will provide support for approximately 15 sub-projects.
Post-Signing technical cooperation will include:
- Water sector review in Romania. Options for sector consolidation and development;
- Capacity enhancement programme for the regional water operators and the relevant local authorities; training, exchange of experience and knowledge sharing with water sector peers from other EU countries.
- Review and development of long term asset management plans for individual companies.
- Support for preparation and implementation of energy efficiency, losses reduction and costefficiency plans, including performance-based private sector involvement, on a case by case basis.
The estimated amount for these assignments is EUR 2.5million and is proposed to be financed from the EU Structural Instruments, and from the Bank's Shareholders' Special Fund.
For business opportunities or procurement, contact the client company.
EBRD project enquiries not related to procurement:
Tel: +44 20 7338 7168
Public Information Policy (PIP)
The PIP sets out how the EBRD discloses information and consults with its stakeholders so as to promote better awareness and understanding of its strategies, policies and operations. Please visit the Public Information Policy page below to find out how to request a Public Sector Board Report.
Text of the PIP