Translated version of this PSD: Albanian
Provision of a sovereign loan facility of up to EUR 60 million to the Republic of Albania, divided into two tranches of EUR 30 million each, to finance (i) tourism-enabling and (ii) general municipal infrastructure and transport infrastructure, respectively (the "Albania Infrastructure and Tourism- Enabling Programme", "AITP" or the "Project"). The Bank will also seek to provide financing or risksharing through local commercial banks, as well as advisory services, to support micro and SMEs active in the tourism value chain.
The tourism-enabling infrastructure investments will be carried out in the regions of Berat, Korca, Fier and Shkoder (the "Designated Regions"), whereas general municipal and transport infrastructure investments will be made in the entire country including in the Designated Regions.
AITP will be co-financed with an EU grant of EUR 40 million that will be used, among others, for the rehabilitation of cultural and natural heritage sites and will be made available through the Instruments for Pre-Accession Assistance ("IPA").
1. Enhance the competitiveness of Albania's tourism sector through a comprehensive approach including infrastructure development, cultural and natural heritage sites rehabilitation and support to
2. Improve municipal and environmental infrastructure across the country and regional transport links to provide more reliable access to economic centres across the country, including in the Designated Regions, and improve accessibility to certain touristic sites and touristic villages in these regions.
- The Project will enhance competitiveness of inland tourism so that Albania can develop its significant potential also outside the existing coastal destinations. This will be achieved through investment in tourism-related municipal and transport infrastructure and support to SMEs active in the tourism value chain.
AITP will further contribute to improving the quality and connectivity of infrastructure through enhanced local infrastructure, including local roads for more efficient and effective economic interactions.
- The Project will contribute to the promotion of inclusive procurement practices to provide on-the-job training opportunities for young people during the phase of construction by engaging contractors of infrastructure sub-projects to provide on-site training opportunities for a number of young people.
The Borrower is the Republic of Albania represented by the Ministry of Finance and Economy. The Client and Executing Agency is the Albanian Development Fund (ADF) which is responsible for the management of local and regional infrastructure projects as well as supporting local government units with institutional strengthening.
EBRD Finance Summary
A sovereign loan of up to EUR 60 million composed of two tranches of EUR 30 million each.
Total Project Cost
The total estimated project cost is approximately EUR 113.3 million.
Environmental and Social Summary
Categorised Initial Environmental & Social Examination ("IESE") (Environmental and Social Policy ("ESP") 2014). The sub-projects to be financed under the project are not defined yet. It is anticipated that the sub-projects will mainly consist of road rehabilitations, solid waste management, street lighting, water/wastewater system refurbishments, and the rehabilitation of cultural and natural heritage sites. The project category and the scope of the environmental and social due diligence ("ESDD") will be defined once the indicative list of sub-projects is confirmed. Cultural heritage issues will be specifically examined if there are subprojects associated with such locations and/or issues.
This PSD will be updated when the results of due diligence are known.
The following Technical Co-operation assignments are envisaged as part of the Project:
- Capacity building programme to enhance the tourism potential of the municipalities, small businesses and tourism associations.
- Creditworthiness enhancement programme at the municipal level for Korca, Berat, Shkoder and Fier.
- Project implementation support to ADF during the tendering process, project implementation and works supervision.
- Lenders' Monitoring Engineer.
- Economic inclusion consultant to assess, develop and implement inclusive procurement practices for part of the sub-projects, to offer effective on-the-job training opportunities to young people during construction activities relating to infrastructure investments
- Technical and financial due diligence of the sub-projects.
- Environmental and Social due diligence.
For consultant opportunities for projects financed by technical cooperation funds, visit procurement of consultants.
Company Contact Information
+355 4 2235 597
+355 4 2234 885
Rruga "Sami Frasheri", Nr. 10 Tirana, Albania
For business opportunities or procurement, contact the client company.
EBRD project enquiries not related to procurement:
Tel: +44 20 7338 7168
Public Information Policy (PIP)
The PIP sets out how the EBRD discloses information and consults with its stakeholders so as to promote better awareness and understanding of its strategies, policies and operations. Please visit the Public Information Policy page below to find out how to request a Public Sector Board Report.
Text of the PIP