The Borrower is Georgia and the Client is Hygiena 2009 ltd, a company established and wholly owned by the Autonomous Republic of Adjara. Hygiena will own and operate the landfill facility. The project is co-financed by the Swedish International Development Co-operation Agency (Sida) with a grant for capital expenditure.
Initially the site for the landfill was selected in Chakvi. However a new plan to develop tourism infrastructure in Chakvi was developed and in November 2011 the Minister of Finance and Economy of Adjara requested to stop preparation and identify an alternative site. Consequently, a new study was launched to identify another site for the landfill. An alternative site was identified in Tsetskhlauri, 45 km north of Batumi, and the new ESIA had been prepared.
- Construction of a new sanitary landfill at Tsetskhlauri;
- Construction of a gas extraction system; and,
- Closure of two existing landfills.
Business Purpose/Transition Impact
Support to Georgia for the development of a regional landfill to serve the western part of the Autonomous Republic of Adjara. The Project also provides technical co-operation to assist with the preparation and implementation of the project and a corporate development programme to build operational and management capacity within the landfill management company.
ESIA disclosure package
- ESIA: English | Georgian
- Non-technical summary: English | Georgian
- Stakeholder Engagement Plan: English | Georgian
- Environmental and Social Action Plan: English | Georgian
- Livelihood Restoration and Resettlement Framework: English | Georgian
Full ESIA availability
Full ESIA documentation is available locally at:
1. Ministry of Finance and Economy of the Autonomous Republic of Adjara, address: 119, Komakhidze street, Batumi, Georgia; Tel: +995577456248; Davit Lomtatidze, Head of the Division of Relations with the Donor Organisations
2. Department of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of the Autonomous Republic of Adjara, address: 124, Gorgasali street, Batumi, Georgia; Tel: +995577232227; Nodar Kontselidze, Head of Biodiversity and Environmental Integrated Management Service
3. Self-governing City of Batumi, address: 25, Asatiani street, Batumi, Georgia; Tel: +995422272606
4. Kobuleti municipality, address: 141, Aghmashenebeli avenue, Kobuleti, Georgia; Tel: +995599108308; Rati Megrelidze, Deputy Head of Municipality
EBRD Resident Office in Tbilisi
Address: Merani Business Center
31a Griboedov Street, 6th Floor
0108 Tbilisi, Georgia
Tel: +995 32 2447400
Fax: +995 32 2920512
Environmental and social enquiries
Department of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of the Autonomous Republic of Adjara
124, Gorgasali street, Batumi, Georgia
Ministry of Finance and Economy of the Autonomous Republic of Adjara
119, Komakhidze street, Batumi, Georgia
This document was prepared at an early stage of project development, before consideration by the EBRD Board of Directors. Details of a project may change following disclosure.
Environmental and Social Impact Assessments and ESIA summaries are produced by project sponsors, and the EBRD makes them available without any comment or implied endorsement. Any views expressed or statements made in the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment or the ESIA Summary do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the EBRD.
Last updated 25 June 2014