Project Description: The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the "EBRD" or the "Bank") is intending to engage a Consultant to provide support to the Lebanese authorities for the successful implementation of renewable energy auctions (the "Project").
Assignment Description: EBRD intends to select and contract a consulting company (the Consultant) in order to provide detailed technical, financial and legal assistance to Lebanese authorities for the implementation of an on-shore wind tender, as well as a solar PV + storage tender (the "Assignment").
The detailed scope of work and services (the "Services") are further described in the full Terms of Reference (the "ToRs") accessed from the following link: http://www.ebrd.com/documents/admin/support-for-the-competitive-procurement-of-renewable-energy-in-lebanon.docx
Consultant Selection Procedure: Two stage open competitive selection. Interested firms or groups of firms seeking to be shortlisted for the assignment are invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in June 2019 and has an estimated overall duration of 30 (thirty) months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 1,750 000 ( exclusive of VAT).
The Consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the special status of the Bank as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a Consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed by EBRD Donor Funds. Selection and contracting are subject to the availability of funding.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions based on the consultant's country of origin.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms preferably with previous project experience related to:
A) Economics/Policy/Commercial expertise in the design of support schemes for renewable energy – in particular, support schemes that use a competitive process to determine the level of support for, and the selection of, renewable energy projects.
B) Legal expertise, with experience in:
a. Assisting policymakers and/or bidders in renewable energy auctions/tenders (including experience advising on limited recourse renewable energy project financing and competitive tender arrangements) and, preferably, other electricity services (e.g. ancillary services, storage);
b. Drafting secondary legislation in the electricity sector - preferably including full RFPs (including power purchase agreements).
C) Technical expertise on:
a. Renewable energy projects (in particular, both on-shore wind and solar PV projects with energy storage), preferably with experience in providing assistance to regulators on technical aspects of RE projects and acting as Owner’s Engineers (OE);
b. Electricity storage projects, preferably with experience in providing assistance to regulators on technical aspects of such projects.
D) Environmental and social impact assessment expertise – both international and local.
E) Experience in the power sector of country(ies) within the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, , including knowledge of the legislative and regulatory setting and familiarity with the network and grid code.
Relevant experience in Lebanon will be an added advantage.
The Consultant’s expert team is expected to include key experts as follows:
1) Key Expert 1: Team Leader – Expert in Renewable Energy policy and regulatory matters with:
- preferably 10 years’ previous professional experience in project management, specifically in projects related to the renewable energy sector in particular in designing renewable energy support schemes and competitive bidding processes and in regulatory matters of the electricity sector including the integration of renewable energy in electricity markets and systems;·
- proven experience in leading a team of experts and the ability to demonstrate adequate project management skills, managerial skills and team leading experience;
- fluency in English for coordination and report writing purposes;
2) Key Expert 2: Technical Expert(s) with preferably 5 years of previous professional experience in working on technical characteristics of:
a. on-shore wind generation (for example, conducting site assessments);
b. solar PV generation (for example, conducting site assessments); and
c. electricity storage projects - preferably, electricity storage capacity coupled with solar PV generation capacity;
3) Key Expert 3: International Legal Expert(s) with:
a. Preferably 5 years or more previous professional experience in drafting energy sector legislation and regulations relating to renewable energy (for example, power purchase agreements) and, preferably, energy storage projects; and
b. experience in advising clients on the competitive procurement of renewable energy (on the developer and/or the authorities’ side)
4) Key Expert 4: Local Lebanese Legal Expert(s) with:
a. preferably 5 years or more previous professional experience in drafting energy sector agreements relating to renewable energy for example, power purchase agreements (in Lebanon and/or internationally); and
b. experience in advising clients on the competitive procurement of renewable energy, on the developer and/or the authorities’ side (in Lebanon and/or internationally);
c. strong knowledge and proven experience in the Lebanese laws is a requirement
d. fluency in both English and Arabic/French.
The local expert should not be advising any developers bidding on these specific tenders and/or the potential winning bidders.
5) Key Expert 5: Financial/Commercial Expert with preferably 5 years or more previous professional experience in renewable energy project financing;
6) Key Expert 6: Environmental and Social Expert with preferably 5 years or more of previous professional experience in advising clients on social and environmental aspects of energy projects.
All the key experts are expected to have strong communication skills, be fluent in English and, preferably, have experience in past projects within the MENA region or similar environments.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be shortlisted for this Assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The above information should not exceed 40 pages excluding CVs and contact sheet.
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size is exceeded (4MB), the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Bank Contact Person:
Procurement Operations and Delivery Department
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
e-mail: email@example.com (submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are:
(a) Firm’s previous project experience in conducting policy and regulatory projects and providing policymakers and/or renewable energy developers with advice on renewable energy procurement processes and electricity market reforms, as well as providing assistance in the technical design, implementation and on the financing of renewable energy projects, specifically (i) onshore wind, (ii) solar PV, and (iii) electricity storage within the MENA region, relevant experience in Lebanon will be considered an advantage (50%);
(b) Firm’s previous project experience in assisting policymakers and/or bidders in renewable energy auctions/tenders and in providing legal support, including drafting secondary legislation in the electricity sector - preferably with the drafting of power purchase agreements (20%);
(c) CVs of the Key Experts (30%).