Clarification (23/06/2016): Expenses for organising events or a visits (Venue, catering, trip, etc.) are not included in the cost estimate for the assignment (EUR 75,000). The expenses for such events or visits are negotiated separately and paid separately for each activity.
Expenses for organising events or a visits (Venue, catering, trip, etc.) are not included in the cost estimate for the assignment (EUR 75,000).
The expenses for such events or visits are negotiated separately and paid separately for each activity.
Assignment Description: The Business Development Team ("Team") of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the "EBRD" or the "Bank") plays an important role in fostering relationships between the EBRD and clients and following through on potential new business opportunities. The team maintains a close working relationship with the Management of the EBRD's Banking Department in pursuit of business in the sectors and regions in which the Bank is active. Working with counterparts within the Banking Department, the team is responsible for the identification of high potential client companies and businesses, establishing and developing relationships at target company senior management level and coordinating the maintenance of relationships and follow up to leads which have been generated.
With this expertise in mind, the Italian Constituency Office of the EBRD has discussed with BD Team the engagement of a Consultant to work in close collaboration with members of BD Team, with a good knowledge of the Italian Market to support the identification of Italian entities with Italian prioritisation and as a result, the generation of new business opportunities (the "Assignment").
The objective of the Assignment is to provide services to:
(i) Support the BD Team in the effective promotion of the Bank's capabilities in Italy;
(ii) Develop and implement an Italy focused business development program, aimed at increasing Italian participation in projects financed through the Bank and resultant lead generation.
The Bank now intends to retain the services of Consultants to support the Team by identifying potential EBRD clients, helping the Bank to raise awareness with Italian entities, facilitating business development activities and exploring increased deal origination.
The Consultant firm's main tasks will be as follows:
(a) Undertaking thorough research about Italian companies, business associations and chambers of commerce, and creating a database of companies in Italy that may qualify as business partners for the EBRD in such was that it can be used to further the Bank's approach and implementation;
(b) Identifying target companies and sectors and requisite accompanying information, placing emphasis on mid-sized companies across all sectors, compiling a comprehensive database;
(c) Identifying the main investment streams from Italy to the EBRD region, identifying companies which are considering investing in the region or considering the region as part of their business strategy.
- Undertake corollary data collation, utilizing a large variety of techniques to acquire pertinent data via for example, the internet, databases, email and telephone to undertake research campaigns, and compile published data. Organize information to produce inclusive reports and spread sheets, etc.
(d) Identifying suitable contacts / the main business platforms which can be used to reach out to potential clients and engage with them and maintain relationships with various parties identified as being helpful to support EBRD's Business Development activities;
(e) Developing a programme of marketing activities for the EBRD to disseminate within the Italian market;
(f) Assisting the BD Team with preparation and organisation of business meetings/visits:
- Suggest areas in Italy that should be targeted for 4 business trips with sufficient critical mass of potential origination of transactions, rational for inclusion of companies and provide information to be used in meetings with these potential clients;
- Propose and prepare two business development events, to be organised to support new business opportunities. Arrange a suitable venue, catering, IT infrastructure, materials, invitations and logistical support for these events;
- Arrange business development visits of Italian companies from Italy to the EBRD Countries of Operations.
The Consultant will provide the following deliverables:
- A mapping exercise aiming at Italian companies to be targeted by the Bank’s marketing activities;
- An Italy focused business development program;
- Monthly activities reports.
In co-operation with the Bank, the Consultant will further implement activities fulfilling the agreed implementation plan:
- Organise four business development visits headed by Banking to Italy;
- Organise two targeted marketing events in Italy aiming at raising EBRD’s visibility among the Italian business community;
- Organise Italian companies' visits to the Bank's Countries of Operations.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or groups of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in August 2016 and last for 12 months. The Assignment may be extended, subject to the Bank’s needs, the availability of funding and the selected Consultant’s performance.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 75,000; exclusive of VAT.
The consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the Bank's special status as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: EBRD's own resources.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm with relevant experience in working in Italy with Italian industrial companies, and previously advising international financial institutions on corporate/project finance opportunities.
The Consultant's expert team is expected to include a Senior Consultant and an Analyst with the following experiences and skills:
- Practical professional experience in working in Italy with Italian industrial sector and with different major players, (including companies and contacts), intermediary associations/organizations/media et al that can be utilized to further the Bank’s approach and implementation;
- Preferably 7+ years (for the senior consultant, no such requirement for the analyst) of professional experience in corporate/project finance and/or business development/marketing experience gained from working with leading international financial institution(s) (IFIs) or commercial organization(s);
- Banking skills together with knowledge of project finance and good understanding of the structuring of operations would be beneficial;
- Previous professional experience and/or thought awareness of the EBRD region of operation;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with fluency in Italian and English language is essential in order to implement the assignment successfully;
- Innovative, self-motivated with strong interpersonal, communication, diplomatic and presentation skills;
- Ability to recognise business opportunities and threats and ability to take into account commercial and business issues when in discussion situations;
- Business judgement – ability to understand the impact of all actions in relation to business practices;
- Organisational awareness –ability to understand the formal and informal structure and components of the organization, including culture and business environment;
- Ability to self-organize and manage;
- Ability to operate sensitively in multicultural environments and build effective working relationships.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be selected for this Assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
2. Company profile, organisation and staffing;
3. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments preferably undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration), main activities, objectives;;
4. CVs of two key experts who could be available to work on the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
The above information should not exceed 15 pages, excluding CVs and contact sheet.
Expressions of Interest shall be submitted, in English, electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date indicated above. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size is exceeded (4MB), the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Bank Contact Person:
Principal Advisor, Technical Cooperation Team
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN, United Kingdom
Tel: + 44 20 7338 7088
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. This is a "Selection from Shortlist" in accordance with the EBRD Procurement Policies and Rules. The selection will be made from responses to this notification only. Consultants will not be asked to submit a proposal as part of the expression of interest. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and be invited to negotiate the contract, subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria and weightings are as follows:
(a) Firm's or group of firms' previous experience in similar projects in relation to advising international financial institutions on corporate/project finance opportunities in the Italian market (30%);
(b) Experience in working in Italy with Italian industrial companies (20%)
(c) CVs of the two proposed key experts (30%).
(d) Interviews (20%).
All firms with a combined score of 70% or more of the total marks available for criteria 2(a) – 2(c) inclusive will be invited to interview (criterion 2(d)).
EBRD will advise the Consultants regarding the format (e.g. skype call, meeting in person, conference call, etc.) and date of the interviews at the time of the invitation. The interviews shall be attended by the two Key Experts nominated by the Consultant.
Please note that all and any costs incurred by the Consultant in connection with attendance to interviews shall be borne by the Consultant.