Assignment Description: The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development ("EBRD" or the "Bank") is considering providing support to the Gaziantep Metropolitan Municipality (the "City" or the "Municipality") in updating the existing Gaziantep Climate Change Action Plan ("GCCAP"), and support the development of a roadmap for its implementation (the "Assignment"). The Bank intends to retain the services of a consultant (the "Consultant") to carry out the Assignment. The original GCCAP was developed in 2011 by ICE, Mavi Consultants and the University of Gaziantep, with the financial support of the Agence Française de Development ("AFD") and the Municipality. The aim of the GCCAP was "to analyse and assess the current outlook of the Gaziantep city, prepare for the future threats and opportunities that may arise in the near future and to proactively take necessary climate change mitigation and adaptation actions," which included targets of reducing 15% of CO2 per capita in 2023 to reach a level of 3 tCO2e per capita and a reduction of 15% of energy consumption per capita in 2023. The Municipality currently aims to increase both reduction targets in the GCCAP to minimum 20% in 2023, which will be established in the updated GCCAP.
The Assignment aims to build up initial efforts of helping the City of Gaziantep to identify and then to respond to its climate impact and risks and move to develop a more sustainable regional economy, e.g. by outlining priority actions. The updated GCCAP will take into consideration the political, economic and environmental changes over the past three years, both at municipal and national level. This will be achieved by revising the climate profile analysis of the City and re-specifying a concrete series of actions/investments for different sectors, based on the updated analysis.
The main tasks of the Assignment are to help the Gaziantep Metropolitan Municipality update the GCCAP by:
1. Assessing the City's climate impacts and vulnerabilities for each sector, based on the most appropriate methodology;
2. Identifying specific actions and investment plans by sector that would support the City to achieve its targets for energy and resource savings and GHG emissions reductions;
3. Linking to concrete implementation steps and financial mechanisms that can help develop and support proposed activities; and
4. Developing a roadmap to the implementation of those actions with clear allocation of responsibilities and timeframes for delivery.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in March 2015 and has an estimated overall duration of 6 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 156,500.00 (exclusive of VAT).
The Consultant must determine whether any VAT would be chargeable on the services and the basis for that determination, without taking into consideration the special status of the Bank as an IFI and state this to the Bank in their response to the Invitation for Expressions of Interest. To the extent that a Consultant incurs input VAT on goods and services purchased in connection with the provision of services (e.g. VAT on airline ticket) which is not otherwise recoverable by the Consultant from the local tax authority, the gross cost to the Consultant of such expenses shall be treated as a reimbursable expense.
Funding Source: EBRD – EU Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Programme for Turkey
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with experience and a strong track record in international project advisory works in the field of energy, resource and energy efficiency, working with public administrations in providing key policy recommendations with excellent communication skills in English and Turkish, both written and verbal including strong editing skills for highly technical reports with policy implication.
The Consultant's expert team is expected to include key experts as follows:
- Project Manager/Team Leader with substantial project management experience (preferably more than 10 years) in providing advisory services to public administrations on energy and/or climate change projects;
- Economics Expert with knowledge in energy and climate change economics with (preferably more than 5 years) experience working in policy dialogue activities at national and/or local levels, including, but not exclusive to, working on energy efficiency, renewable energy and/or climate change action plans;
- Financial Expert with strong financial expertise (preferably more than 5 years) in the area of climate mitigation and adaptation investments, including energy and resource efficiency investments;
- Engineering Expert with (preferably more than 5 years) experience in energy efficiency, renewable energy and climate adaptation technologies across sectors and knowledge in relevant international best practices and climate technology;
- Environmental Expert with (preferably more than 5 years) experience in assessing environmental impacts of projects, associated with energy and resource efficiency, across sectors, including industrial, residential and transport sectors;
- Energy Expert with (preferably more than 5 years) experience in energy, resources and GHG emissions statistics;
- Senior Local expert with (preferably more than 5 years) experience of working in the energy market and knowledge of the institutional landscape in Turkey who will serve as the main counterpart of the Municipality (will be considered a strong advantage);
- Fluency in Turkish and previous experience in working in the EBRD’s countries of operation will be considered an advantage.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be selected for this Assignment, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages);
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives;
3. CVs of key experts who could be available to work on the Assignment;
4. Completed Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The above information should not exceed 10 pages excluding CVs and Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet.
The complete Expression of Interest (including CVs and Contact Sheet) shall be submitted in English, electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the specified closing date by 23:59 hours (UK time). The Expression of Interest shall be one file (pdf or Word), not exceeding 4MB, to be uploaded to eSelection. The EBRD reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
Expressions of Interest shall be submitted, in English, electronically through e-Selection, to reach the Bank not later than the closing date.
EBRD Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6577
(submissions should be sent through eSelection and NOT to this email address)
1. The existing Gaziantep Climate Change Action Plan can be found via the following link: http://www.gantep.bel.tr/Gaziantep-CCAP-ENG-final-20111102.pdf
2. The selection will normally be made from responses to this notification only. Consultants will not be asked to submit a proposal. The highest-ranked Consultant will be selected from a shortlist and will be invited to negotiate the contract, subject to availability of funding.
3. The shortlisting criteria plus weights are as follows:
- Consultant's previous project experience in the field of energy resource and energy efficiency and providing advisory services to public administrations on energy and/or climate change projects - 40
- Consultant's previous project experience Turkey - 20
- CVs of key experts - 40