Executing Agency (Client): Khorog Regional Water Company (the “Company”) and the State Unitary Enterprise “KMK” (SUE “KMK”) as a co-borrower.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the “EBRD” or the “Bank”) signed the North Tajik Water Rehabilitation project in November 2010. The project covered seven cities, including Khorog, and is scheduled to be completed in 2015. To date implementation has resulted in significant improvements in water loss reduction and collection rates.
To build on the achievements under the North Tajik Rehabilitation project, the Bank prepared Phase II investments in Khorog to further improve water supply and wastewater management.
Supported by the Bank’s Integrated Approach to water projects in Tajikistan, the Tajik water sector is presently undergoing structural changes. Small water utilities are merged into regional structures - Regional Water Companies (“RWC”). Under this regional structure, Khorog will fall under the GBAO RWC. Technical Cooperation support for the North RWC is separate from this assignment.
The North Tajik Water Rehabilitation project rehabilitated water supply infrastructure for 30 per cent of the population of Khorog and introduced water metering to part of the population. Implementation is in progress and resulting in significant improvements in water loss reduction and collection rates.
Under Phase II investment, the proceeds of the loan and capex grant will be used for the rehabilitation of other portion of water supply and also will include rehabilitation of wastewater infrastructure in the city of Khorog (the “Project”).
The Company, via the Project Implementation Unit (“PIU”), will manage the implementation of the Project. To support the Company in all aspects of Project implementation, including preparation of design, technical specifications, tender documentation, assistance with tendering, tender evaluation and contract finalisation, administration and supervision of the contract implementation including the implementation of the ESAP, an involvement of a reputable consultancy firm or consortium of consultancy firms (hereinafter the “Consultant”) is required.
The overall objective of this assignment is to facilitate the timely and effective implementation of the Project by rendering assistance to the Company in the implementation of the Project, including design, all aspects of procurement and disbursement, and environmental and social (“E&S”) requirements. The Consultant will provide assistance in procurement of works and goods completely in accordance with the procedures, specifications and documentation of the Bank and pursuant to all other provisions stipulated in the Loan Agreement and other Project related agreements.
The Consultant shall perform the following main tasks:
- Overall project management support as required;
- Design the works and prepare technical specifications for goods;
- Preparation of the prequalification, if any, and tender documents for procurement of works and goods;
- Arrangement of the tendering procedure for works and goods, including evaluation of tenders and drafting tender evaluation reports;
- Administration of contract implementation including, where appropriate, works supervision or assisting the Company with works supervision;
- Arrangement of timely disbursements under the contracts.
The work of the Consultant refers to the whole Project and not only to the portion financed by EBRD. The procurement plan for the Project will be provided to the Consultant in the Request for Proposals.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in 2Q 2015 and has an estimated overall duration of 3 years.
Maximum Budget available for the Assignment: USD 700,000 (exclusive of VAT).
The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: Czech Republic ODA TC Fund
Eligibility: Participation is restricted to firms registered in the Czech Republic and experts being either Czech nationals or permanent employees of the firm. Up to a maximum of 35% of the total contract amount may be used to finance services of local experts who are nationals of Tajikistan or consultancy firms registered in Tajikistan.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant shall be responsible for mobilisation of qualified engineers, technicians and other professional staff with proven experience in administrative management, procurement, design and supervision of similar construction works and acquiring of equipment for water and wastewater rehabilitation projects in comparable climatic and geological conditions.
It is required that the Consultant’s team shall include the following minimum expertise with short-term support as required in other disciplines:
- International Project Manager;
- Local Project Manager;
- IFI Procurement and Contracts Specialist;
- Water and Wastewater Engineers (Design);
- Finance/Disbursement Specialist
- Engineers (Construction Supervision)
- Environmental and social specialist
- International Designers and experts
- Local Designers and experts
- Local Office Support Staff
All experts should ideally have 5 years or more of relevant experience, which may include such of the following as are relevant to their roles:
- design and project management experience gained in countries with climatic conditions similar to the project sites;
- construction and supply experience gained in countries with climatic conditions similar to the project sites;
- experience in design of wastewater and water supply projects, knowledge of FIDIC and/or World Bank/EBRD Supply and Installation and Works contractual arrangements;
- experience in (i) planning and design activities; (ii) assistance with planning and design activities; (iii) project management; (iv) project management assistance; (v) engineering; (vi) procurement of goods, works and services;
- knowledge of procedures and rules of procurement of international financial institutions, such as the World Bank, ADB or EBRD;
- knowledge and understanding of EBRD’s environmental and social requirements and past experience of assistance in their successful implementation;
- knowledge of requirements of Tajik legislation concerning construction, financial, accounting and disbursement issues.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
(a) brief overview of the firm/group of firms including company profile, organisation and staffing;
(b) details of similar experience of firm or group of firms and related assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, percentage carried out by consultant in case of association of firms or subcontracting, main activities, objectives;
(c) CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
(d) Completed Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding CVs and contact sheet).
One original of the expression of interest, in English, and three copies in Russian, shall be submitted to the Client in an envelope marked “EXPRESSION OF INTEREST for Tajik Water II - Khorog Project - Project Implementation Support, Engineering Design Services and Contract Supervision ”, to reach Client not later than closing date for submissions specified above.
One further electronic copy of expressions of interest in English and Russian should be submitted to the EBRD’s contact person by the same due date.
The Client Contact Person:
SUE Khojagii Manziliyu Kommunali (KMK)
Mr. R. Dadabaev
Head of Project Implementation Unit
56, N. Karaboev Street, Dushanbe,
734018, Republic of Tajikistan
Phone: +992 (37) 221 77 98
Fax: +992 (37) 221 77 98, 233 60 14
The EBRD Contact Person:
Advisor, Technical Cooperation
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6338
Fax: +44 20 7338 6964
- Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
- The shortlisting criteria will be as follows:
1) Consultancy firm(s)’ experience in Project Implementation Support, Engineering Design Services and Contract Supervision assignments, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector - 40%
2) Firm(s)’ experience in projects with similar economic, geographical and climatic conditions – 20%
2) Firm(s)’ experience in projects with procurement of international financial institutions – 10%
3) CVs of experts proposed (30%).