Executing Agency (Client):
GKP “Semey Vodokanal
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (the “EBRD” or the “Bank”) has developed a project (the “Project”) together with GKP “Semey Vodokanal” (the “Company”), a municipal enterprise wholly owned by the Akimat of the city of Semey ( the “City Akimat”) and the Akimat of East Kazakhstan Oblast (the “Oblast Akimat”) and the City Akimat to upgrade the water and wastewater services in the City of Semey (“Semey” or the “City”) in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The City has a population of c. 340 thousand inhabitants. The service area of the Company covers the territories of the City and 11 nearby settlements. The Company is a sole provider of centralised water supply services to about 54 per cent and wastewater services to about 34 per cent of the service area residents. The actual number of connected customers is believed to be higher, pointing to the commercial losses and the urgent need to improve the customer database and the billing system.
The Client now intends to retain a consulting company (the Consultant) to support the Client to set up and oversee a Project Implementation Unit (the PIU) in all aspects of Project implementation. Such support will include preparation of design, technical specifications, tender documentation, assistance with tendering, tender evaluation and contract finalisation, administration and supervision of the contract implementation, as well as set up of the disbursement system (the Assignment).
The expected outcome of the Assignment is the successful procurement of works and goods in accordance with the EBRD’s Procurement Policies and Rules and the successful and timely completion of the Project.
The selected Consultant is expected to provide the following services:
- Stage I capacity strengthening of the PIU, design and procurement:
- Review and make recommendations to the project Procurement Plan, including updating of initial cost estimates and setting priorities between the project components.
- Assist the Company in developing tender documents (including, but not limited to, design, requirements and technical specifications, EHSS requirements for contractors), carrying out tender procedure, preparing evaluation report and contract, and submit the necessary documents to the Company and EBRD for their concurrence and “no-objection”.
- Provide project management support to the Company to co-ordinate, manage, monitor and evaluate all aspects of the project, including project implementation and procurement, design in accordance with Kazakh construction norms and requirements and preparation of technical specifications, and implementation of the Environmental and Social Action Plan (“ESAP”).
- Stage II contract administration and supervision of construction:
- Provide project management support to the Company to co-ordinate, supervise, manage, monitor and evaluate all aspects of the Project, including project implementation, contract and financial administration, and ESAP implementation.
- Ensure that the Company will arrange payments to the contractor, to whom payment has been certified, to ensure that all such payments are made in due time, and that appropriate control and record systems are in place to ensure compliance with financiers and the country reporting requirements.
- Provide support with supervision of works and administration of contracts.
- Support with arrangement of timely disbursements under the contracts.
- Both Stages I and II:
- Ensure that all reports required by the EBRD for implementation of the project and the loan are submitted on schedule.
- Prepare an integrated time schedule for progress meetings with the various parties; attend meetings together with the Company to support the implementation of the overall programme as a whole, seek response to reports, and discuss the project issues on a regular basis with the Company and other key people; prepare and circulate minutes of the meetings, including follow-up actions required to ensure progress.
The Client is currently in the process of appointing an external consultant for the implementation of a Corporate Development Programme (the CDP Consultant). The CDP and PIU consultants engaged for this Project are expected to liaise with each other as needed, to benefit from the shared information and save resources.
Status of Selection Process:
Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration:
The Assignment is expected to start in Q2 2016 and has an estimated overall duration of 36 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 600,000 (exclusive of VAT). The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed through the EBRD’s donor funded Technical Cooperation Funds Programme. Selection and contracting is subject to the availability of funding.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility criteria.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with preferably previous project experience related to:
- The provision of project implementation support, engineering design services and contract supervision services, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector; and
- Projects involving the procurement policies and rules of international financial institutions (such as the EBRD, World Bank or others)as applicable for construction and Supply & Installation projects.
The Consultant’s expert team is expected to include key experts as follows:
Key Expert No 1 International and local Project Managers with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in design and project management in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
Key Expert No 2 International and local IFI Procurement, Contracts, Disbursement Specialists with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in design, project management, supervision of construction and supply and installation of the equipment in similar projects gained in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
Key Expert No 3 International and Local Municipal Water Engineers with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
Key Expert No 4 International and Local Municipal Water Designers with preferably ten years or more of previous professional experience in similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
Key Expert No 5 Environmental and Social Experts preferably with a minimum of ten years or more of previous comparable professional experience in the successful implementation of similar assignments and with demonstrated knowledge of environmental and social standards of the EBRD or other comparable institutions.
Key Expert No 6 Supervision Engineers preferably with five years or more of previous comparable professional experience in the administrative supervision of similar assignments in the municipal water and wastewater sector in countries with comparable conditions to Kazakhstan.
All Key Experts shall be fluent in written and spoken English. It is essential that the Consultant’s team contains some experts fluent in Russian.
Non-key experts are expected to include an Office Manager /Translator/ Secretary.
The Consultant shall be responsible for mobilisation of qualified engineers, technicians and other professional staff with the proven experience in the administrative management, procurement, design and supervision of similar construction works and acquiring the equipment for the projects in comparable climatic and geological conditions.
In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken preferably in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding CVs Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
The complete expression of interest (including CVs, Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet) should be submitted, in English and Russian via email (pdf) to the Client’s contact person, to reach the Client not later than the closing date. One additional copy shall reach the Bank’s contact person by the same due date. The expression of interest shall be one file (pdf). The Client reserves the right to reject applications of firms submitting more than one file. Only if any limitation on the permissible file size is exceeded, the Consultant may split the expression of interest into further files.
The Client Contact Person:
Sagandykov Erken Zamanbekovich,
Director, State Communal Enterprise “Semey Vodokanal”
Kazakhstan, Semey City, 071404, 249 “a”, Kazhaubay-uly street
The EBRD Contact Person:
Principal Advisor, Technical Co-operation
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6338
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
- Firm’s previous project experience in project implementation support, engineering design services and contract supervision, including specific experience in the water and wastewater sector – 35%;
- Firm’s previous experience in projects involving the procurement policies and rules of international financial institutions (such as the EBRD, World Bank or others)as applicable for construction and supply & installation projects – 30%;
- CV of Key Expert No 1 – 10%;
- CV of Key Experts No 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 - 25%.