Improving the North-South Road Corridor is a priority for Georgia. The corridor is a vital transport and trade network that facilitates connections across the country, from Armenia to Russia and beyond. The central section of the corridor connecting Kvesheti to Kobi needs to be fully realigned: the existing 35-km road is unsafe, experiences heavy traffic, and is difficult to maintain in winter, resulting in lanes being closed to trucks and occasionally full closure of the road. A new bypass road from Kvesheti to Kobi will be built to allow more traffic to travel on it safely, and will remain fully operational all year. The new road will be financed by the Government of Georgia with support from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
The new bypass road is 23-km long. The road includes 5 tunnels at a total length of 10.5 km, one of which is 9 km long, and 6 bridges at a total length of 1.6 km, including a concrete arch bridge spanning the Khadistskali River.
EBRD is financing the 9 km long tunnel (Lot 1).
There is a Project Summary Document available for this project
ESIA disclosure package
2 stage disclosure:
Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA): English (Zip file) | Georgian
Non-Technical Summary: English | Georgian
Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP): English | Georgian
Land Acquisition and Resettlement Framework (LARF): English | Georgian
Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP): English | Georgian
Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) in English and Georgian
Full ESIA availability
(1) Dusheti Municipality: City Dusheti_ address Rustaveli Str #27_Tel 0 (346) 22 19 89
(2) Kazbegi Municipality: Stephantsminda Municipality_ address Al Kazbegi Str #2 _ Tel +99577 07 60 35
(3) Kvesheti Rtsmunebuli office: Mr Tengiz Bedoidze _ Tel 551102790 _address _ Village Khvesheti _ Khvesheti Board Office
(4) Kobi Rtsmunebuli residence: Mr Givi Chqareuli Tel_ 595240334 address Stephantsminda Municipality_ address Al Kazbegi Str #2
Roads Department Office:
(5) Roads Department of Georgia: Georgia 0160, Tbilisi, Kazbegi ave N12, Phone / Fax : (995 32) 37-05-08 E - Mail : email@example.com
(6) EBRD Resident Office, Merani Business Center, 31a Griboedov Street, 6th Floor, Tbilisi, Georgia.
Tel: +995 32 2447400
Link to ESIA disclosure package:
Environmental or social enquiries
Head of environmental protection division
Cell:+995 595 09 55 08
This document was prepared at an early stage of project development, before consideration by the EBRD Board of Directors. Details of a project may change following disclosure.
Environmental and Social Impact Assessments and ESIA summaries are produced by project sponsors, and the EBRD makes them available without any comment or implied endorsement. Any views expressed or statements made in the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment or the ESIA Summary do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the EBRD.
Last updated 25 June 2014