Executing Agency (Client): Public Enterprise for State Roads
Address: Dame Gruev 14, 1000 Skopje Macedonia
Phone: + + 389 2 3228 454; + 389 2 3118 044
Fax: + 389 2 3220 535
The Client Contact Person: Mr. Zoran Slamkov
TEL: + 389 2 3118 044
FAX: + 389 2 3220 535
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development is providing a loan of up to EUR 64 million to the Public Enterprise for State Roads (“PESR”, the “Company”). The transaction will enable the Company to finance the improvement of a 37 km single carriageway section on the A4 highway in FYR Macedonia (the “Project”). The proposed road improvement works will include reconstruction and widening of the road pavement to provide a single carriageway road with two 3.5 m wide traffic lanes and two 2.2 m wide hard shoulders.
The Project will required the following works contracts:
• Works contract for the existing carriageway between Interchange Tri Cesmi-Interchange Stip South and 2. Bucim-Radovis;
• Works contract for the construction of a new section on a new alignment between the intersection Stip South and Bucim;
• Construction Supervision contract for the two works contracts.
It is envisaged that PESR will also be required to tender routine, winter and emergency maintenance for on the road sections included in the project for a period of at least 5 years after the completion of construction works in the contract to a private company. Implementation of the Project will be overseen by a Project Implementation Unit (“PIU”) consisting of members of PESR and other relevant stakeholders.
The Government would like to establish a new motorway management unit (the “Motorway Management Unit”) within the Maintenance Department of the Public Enterprise for State Roads which will eventually be responsible for managing all motorway operations and maintenance (“O&M”). The Motorway Unit will be assigned overall responsibility over the O&M activities on the motorway network including contract management. Initially, a small Motorway Unit will be established in PESR to explore options for management, institutional setup, and procurement of motorway O&M services. As such, a consultant (the “Consultant”) is now required to assist PESR in the establishment of this Motorway Management Unit (the “Assignment”).
The Consultant’s specific tasks will include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. Assisting PESR in establishing the Motorway Management Unit (“MMU”) and identifying requirements for additional staff and training needs for the new MMU;
2. Providing options for management, institutional setup, and procurement of motorway O&M services, ranking the various options, and recommending a preferred option;
3. Developing an O&M strategy for the Motorway Unit based on the choice made by PESR and Ministry of Transport and implementation of the preferred strategy;
4. Assisting in implementing any potential pilot;
5. Preparation of Motorway Operation and Maintenance Guidelines;
6. Assisting PESR to prepare and implement multi-annual plans and budgets for motorway O&M.
7. Exploring the potential for private-sector operators to participate in motorway maintenance;
8. Assisting PESR to identify requirements for a Tunnel Manager to be procured from either the public or private sector and be responsible for the management of the operation and maintenance of all motorway tunnels.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in Q1 2017 and has an estimated overall duration of 24 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 300,000.00 (exclusive of VAT). The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed by the EBRD Shareholder Special Fund. Selection and contracting is subject to the availability of funding.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or group of firms with previous project experience preferably in advising government ministries/agencies on motorway operations and maintenance strategies. The Consultant shall also have previous project experience in advising governments on motorway management, procurement and institutional capacity building, preferably for the development of motorway management units, and the preparation of motorway guidelines and manuals. The Consultant is expected to have previous project experience in delivering similar Assignments in comparable regulatory environments.
The Consultant’s core team shall be composed of key experts with international experience in the following areas:
• Key Expert 1: Team Leader/ Highway Maintenance Engineer with preferably 20 years’ or more previous project experience, including at least 10 years’ experience in the management of highway maintenance operations at a senior level;
• Key Expert 2: Tunnel O&M Expert with preferably 15 years project experience in managing highway tunnel operation and maintenance activities;
• Key Expert 3: Road maintenance Training Specialist with preferably 15 years previous project experience of managing highway maintenance activities and at least 10 years’ experience of providing training to highway maintenance staff at management and operational levels;
• Key Expert 4: Procurement Specialist with at least 8 years previous project experience in procurement preferably in highways using the procurement rules of major international financial institutions; and
• Key Expert 5: Institutional / Organisational Change Specialist with preferably 8 years previous project experience in successfully implementing reform programmes in public sector institutions in the Balkans, Eastern Europe and other EBRD countries of operation.
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
(a) brief overview of the firm/group of firms including company profile, organisation and staffing;
(b) details of similar experience of firm or group of firms and related assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, percentage carried out by consultant in case of association of firms or subcontracting, main activities, objectives;
(c) CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
(d) Completed Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 25 pages (excluding CVs and contact sheet).
One original and 1 copy of the expression of interest, in English, shall be submitted to the Client in an envelope marked EXPRESSION OF INTEREST for “Stip-Radovish Road Section - Capacity Building for the company to establish a Motorway Management Unit”, to reach the Client not later than the closing date.
One further copy should be submitted to the EBRD’s contact person by email by the same due date.
EBRD Contact Person:
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6369
Fax: +44 20 7338 7451
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
a. Firm’s experience in advising entities, preferably government ministries or similar, on the required structure, composition and skillset for new teams/functions for motorway management units (30%)
b. Firm’s experience in advising clients in regards to motorway O&M requirements, strategies and final multi-annual O&M plans and budgets (30%)
c. Calibre of CVs of Key Expert and overall team composition in line with the consultant profile (40%)