Executing Agency (Client):
LVIV CITY COMMUNAL ENTERPRISE "LVIVVODOKANAL"
The Client Contact Person:
Deputy Director of Economic Affairs
79017, Ukraine, Lviv, Lviv Region, office at 64 Zelena Street
EBRD Contact Person:
Associate, Technical Cooperation Advisor
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: + 44 20 7338 6369
Fax: +44 20 7338 7451
Project Description: Lviv Communal Enterprise “Lvivvodokanal” (“the Client”), a municipally owned water and wastewater utility in the City of Lviv, has approached the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (“EBRD” or the “Bank”) to provide technical assistance for its energy efficiency priority investment programme (“PIP”) aimed at producing additional electricity and heat from biogas to be collected from sludge processed by the existing wastewater treatment plants (“WWTPs”) (the “Project”).
The overall objectives of the Project are (i) to achieve significant energy savings through use of biogas received as a result of sludge digestion process for combined production of electricity and heat; (ii) improve sustainability of the Company operations; (iii) achieve reductions in greenhouse gas emissions; (iv) reduce volume of sludge with corresponding positive effect on the environment; and (v) improve quality of wastewater going through Poland to the Baltic Sea basin.
Assignment Description: The Client now intends to retain a consulting company (the “Consultant”) to provide project implementation support and engineering supervision to the Project Implementation Unit (“PIU”) (the “Assignment”).
The overall objective of the Assignment is to facilitate the timely and effective implementation of the Project by:
- rendering assistance to the Company in implementation of the Project, including all aspects of procurement, contract administration, engineering supervision and disbursement;
- providing timely recommendations and reporting to the Company in the contract administration process;
- assisting with the administration of the goods, works and supply and installation contracts and advising the Company with respect to all aspects which, in the Consultant’s professional judgment, may jeopardize the Project’s successful implementation and/or constitute violation of the contract conditions;
- if requested, the Consultant will be obliged to help the Company to provide the Bank with data, advice and information in relation to the contracts, which shall be impartial and take due regard of the best industry practices; and
- provide technical support in the implementation of the Project to EBRD Environmental and Social performance requirements including internal capacity building to assist in the timely delivery of the Project Environmental and Social Action Plan (“ESAP”).
It is expected that with the involvement of the Consultant, the Company will have access to best practice in the implementation of projects and procurement, as well as advice on specific technical issues, including environmental and social matters. The Consultant will provide assistance in procurement of the contracts in accordance with the procedures and documentation of the Bank and pursuant to all other agreements stipulated in the Loan Agreement and the Grant Agreement signed between the Company and EBRD.
The Consultant shall build project management capacity of the Company by implementing the following tasks:
- provide project management support to the PIU to co-ordinate, administer, manage, monitor and evaluate all aspects of the Project, including project implementation, contract and financial administration;
- assist the PIU in the preparation of tender documents, conducting tenders, evaluation of tender proposals in accordance with the EBRD Procurement Policies and Rules (“PP&R”). Three tendering processes are currently expected;
- ensure that all reports required by the EBRD for implementation of the project and the loan are submitted on schedule;
- train the PIU to arrange payments to the suppliers and contractors in accordance with the provisions of the contracts, to ensure that all such payments are made in due time, and that appropriate control and record systems are in place to ensure compliance with financiers and the country reporting requirements;
- train the PIU in administration of contracts;
- train the PIU to arrange timely disbursement under the Loan;
- train the PIU as well as other departments of the Company in Environmental and Social management and the EBRD’s Environmental and Social Performance Requirements, including in the management of contractors and sustainable procurements; and
- prepare an integrated time schedule for progress meetings with the various parties; attend meetings together with the PIU to support the Company’s overall programme as a whole, seek response to reports, and discuss project issues on a regular basis with the PIU and other key people; prepare and circulate minutes of the meetings, including follow-up actions required to ensure progress.
Status of Selection Process: Interested firms or group of firms are hereby invited to submit expressions of interest.
Assignment Start Date and Duration: The Assignment is expected to start in Q2 2016 and has an estimated overall duration of 36 months.
Cost Estimate for the Assignment: EUR 650,000 (exclusive of VAT).
The Consultant must determine whether any indirect taxes/VAT are chargeable on the proposed services and state the basis for such. If any indirect taxes/VAT are payable, the Client will have to pay indirect taxes/VAT element to the services directly to the Consultant unless otherwise agreed.
Funding Source: It is anticipated that the contract will be financed by the Sida-EBRD Ukraine Energy Efficiency and Environment Consultant Cooperation Fund (SWUK). Selection and contracting is subject to the availability of funding.
Eligibility: There are no eligibility restrictions.
Consultant Profile: Corporate services are required. The Consultant will be a firm or a group of firms with extensive previous project experience in the municipal wastewater sector related to the administrative management, procurement and administration of similar works and acquiring the equipment for wastewater and biogas projects similar in scope, nature and complexity, preferably in Ukraine and/or other CIS countries in the region. The Consultant would also have a knowledge and practical experience of FIDIC and EBRD or World Bank Works and Supply and Installation (Design and Build) contractual arrangements using procurement rules of international financial institutions (IFIs) such as EBRD, ADB or equivalent procedures of other IFIs.
The budget for the assignment is limited and although it is anticipated that the Consultant’s team shall include the following expertise with short-term support as required in other disciplines, the Consultant will need to provide the optimum work schedule for its staff to ensure sufficient resources are in place on site to manage the contracts. For this reason office backstopping should be kept to a minimum. The Consultant’s team is expected to include the following key experts:
- Key Expert No 1 : Project Manager with preferably 10 years or more professional experience in administrative management, procurement and administration of similar works for wastewater and biogas projects;
- Key Expert No 2: Engineers with preferably 5 years or more relevant professional experience in municipal wastewater treatment, biogas collection and combined heat and power generation;
- Key Expert No 3: IFI Procurement and Contract Specialist relevant professional experience in contract administration and management preferably in the municipal wastewater sector;
- Key Expert No 4: Financial Expert with preferably 5 years or more relevant professional experience in finance in municipal water/wastewater projects;
- Key Expert No 5: Environmental and Social Specialist with preferably 5 years or more relevant professional experience and expertise in municipal wastewater treatment and biogas utilization technologies, including the health and safety requirements related to construction and operation of wastewater treatment plants, biogas collection modules and cogeneration units;;
- Key Expert No 6: Local engineers with preferably 5 years or more relevant project experience and fluency in Ukrainian.
Key Experts 2-6 shall have preferably 5 years’ experience or more relevant professional experience in the activity which they are proposed for, and their expertise would include:
- project management and works supervision experience gained in projects similar in scope, nature and complexity;
- construction and supply experience gained in projects similar in scope, nature and complexity;
- experience in (i) planning; (ii) project management; (iii) engineering; (iv) procurement of goods, works and services: (v) financial management of projects; (vi) supervision and (vii) environmental and social matters;
- proven knowledge and practical experience of procedures and rules of procurement of international financial institutions, such as the EBRD, World Bank or ADB;
Submission Requirements: In order to determine the capability and experience of Consultants seeking to be shortlisted, the information submitted should include the following:
1. Company/group of firms’ profile, organisation and staffing (max. 2-4 pages).
2. Details of previous project experience or similar assignments particularly undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contract value, contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided (if different from duration) , main activities, objectives.
3. CVs of key experts who could carry out the Assignment detailing qualifications, experience in similar assignments, particularly assignments undertaken in the previous five years, including information on contracting entity/client, project location/country, duration (mm/yy to mm/yy), expert months provided, assignment budget, main activities, objectives.
4. Completed Consultant Declaration Form and Contact Sheet, the template for which is available from the following web-link:
The expression of interest shall not exceed 20 pages (excluding CVs Consultant Declaration and Contact Sheet).
One electronic of the expression of interest, in English and Ukrainian, should be submitted to the Client by email marked “EXPESSION OF INTEREST for Lviv Wastewater Biogas Project – Project Implementation Support and Engineering Supervision”, to reach Client not later than at 10:00 am (Ukrainian time) on the above mentioned closing date. One further electronic should be submitted to the EBRD’s contact person by the same due date.
1. Following this invitation for expressions of interest, a shortlist of qualified firms will be formally invited to submit proposals. Consultant selection and contracting will be subject to availability of funding.
2. The shortlist criteria are as follows:
(a) Firm’s previous project experience in to the administrative management, procurement and administration of similar works and acquiring the equipment for wastewater and biogas projects similar in scope, nature and complexity (35%);
(b) Firm’s previous project experience in Ukraine and/or CIS countries (15%);
(c) CV of Key Experts (Project Manager, Engineers, IFI experts, Financial expert, Environmental and Social Expert) (50%).