Translated version of this PSD: Romanian
- Demonstration effect
- Support to the corporatisation of the Company and organisational improvements
- Client-Supplier Relationship through the Public Service Contract (the PSC)
- Development of Regulatory Framework and Institutional improvements
- Improved framework for markets:
- Successful demonstration of new structures and ways of financing:
- Up to EUR 15 million senior loan to the Company
- Up to EUR 15 million loan to the City
- Up to EUR 7.5 million additional finance to the City
Environmental and social categorisation, impact, and mitigation
Categorised B in accordance with 2014 Environmental and Social Policy. The modernisation of the bus and trolleybus fleet is expected to improve the reliability and quality of public transport services for the local population, improve overall safety and accessibility, contribute to improving air quality and increase fuel efficiency through the new vehicle fleet meeting EURO VI environmental standards resulting in lower carbon and other air emissions.
RAT Brasov is an existing client of the Bank, and its performance and annual reporting under the earlier project has been satisfactory. The Company is currently implementing an Integrated Environmental, Quality and Health and Safety Management System and has elaborated a series of procedures and policies in order to manage the environmental and social aspects related to its operations. The Company is now preparing to attain certification according to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards.
An independent consultant was engaged with TC funds to carry out environmental and social due diligence (ESDD) for the project, including an E&S analysis of the proposed procurement of new buses and trolleybuses, a review of the corporate E&S policies and procedures of RAT Brasov and a site visit to the Company’s facilities. The ESDD confirmed that the company does not have a formal environmental management system although there is a clear indication that the company is committed to complying with environmental legislation and ensuring that the procedures that are in place are adhered to. Some additional improvements in waste management will be required. Human resources policies and procedures are sufficiently developed and in compliance with PR2, although a systematic approach for grievance mechanism for the Company’s workers will need to be set up. The ESDD also identified that the Company’s health and safety arrangements require some further improvements and that the implementation of an OHSAS 18001 certified management system will be a useful instrument to better manage road traffic safety, training of drivers and overall occupational health and safety. The low-floor buses and trolleybuses will improve overall public transport accessibility for the disabled and other people of reduced mobility. The Company is constantly working on increasing its transparency and seeking to improve its performance and stakeholder engagement and a Stakeholder Engagement Plan has been prepared to guide them to good practice.
The Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP) agreed for the previous loan has been amended and updated to address the issues identified in the ESDD including the above measures to strengthen the Company’s existing environmental, health, safety and road traffic management systems.
- Due diligence and procurement support (up to EUR 60,000) to include (i) a technical review of existing studies, including financial and economic appraisal of the investments and a Greenhouse Gas (GHG) assessment of the Project (ii) an environmental and social assessment of the Project, and (iii) support in conducting the procurement process for acquiring the proposed vehicles.
Twinning partnership support for corporate development and commercialisation. (Estimated at EUR 150,000). The TC would cover support for preparation of business development plan, twinning with a private sector operator as a means of introducing additional commercial discipline and a corporatised system towards operations.
Preparation of Public Service Contract and assessment of leasing structures (Estimated at EUR 75,000,). The objective is to (i) amend the existing PSC for RAT Brasov and bring it in full compliance with EU Regulation 1370/2007 and (ii) prepare an additional PSC contract for operators in Brasov County along the same principles and considering bus leasing options and duration of PSC related capital costs borne by the operators.
- Support ADI-T to reinforce its function as a coordinating body (Estimated at EUR 100,000). The TC shall focus on promoting institutional, legal and regulatory structures and developing technological solutions and implementation methods for integration of both bus routes and services and fare structures and ticketing.
For business opportunities or procurement, contact the client company.
EBRD project enquiries not related to procurement:
Tel: +44 20 7338 7168
Public Information Policy (PIP)
The PIP sets out how the EBRD discloses information and consults with its stakeholders so as to promote better awareness and understanding of its strategies, policies and operations. Please visit the Public Information Policy page below to find out how to request a Public Sector Board Report.
Text of the PIP