Purpose of the Environmental and Social Impact Assessments
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development is considering providing a corporate loan of up to €50 million to Crnogorski Elektroprenosni Sistem AD (CGES), the Montenegro transmission system operator.
The funds will be used to construct a new 400/110/35 kV substation at Lastva on the Adriatic coast, divert and strengthen the existing network around Lastva, and build a new 155km 400kV line from Lastva to Pljevlja in Northern Montenegro.
The proposed project, which has a total estimated cost of €105 million, has the following components:
• construction of 400 kV transmission line Lastva – Pljevlja
• construction of a new 400/110/35 kV Substation at Lastva Grbaljska and extension of 400kV Substation Pljevlja
• diversion of the existing 400 kV transmission line Podgorica 2 – Trebinje into SS 400/110/35 kV Lastva.
Once implemented, the project will have the following key Benefits:
• it will link the electricity markets of Italy and South Eastern Europe, providing a significant stimulus for regional integration and facilitating market liberalisation.
• it will provide an opportunity for the development of renewable energy in the region and for EU member states to meet their targets for renewable energy through the purchase of this energy.
• it will strengthen the Montenegrin grid, especially in the overloaded costal region, and create a 400kV ring in the Montenegrin network. It will thus improve energy security for Montenegro and its neighbours and increase the opportunities for electricity flows within the Balkans.
There is a project summary document available for this project.
Non-technical Summary (English) (916KB - PDF)
Non-technical Summary (Montenegrin) (575KB - PDF)
Stakeholder Engagement Plan (English) (321KB - PDF)
Stakeholder Engagement Plan (Montenegrin) (382KB - PDF)
Environmental and Social Action Plan (English) (130KB - PDF)
Environmental and Social Action Plan (Montenegrin) (156KB - PDF)
Full ESIA availability
1. Sponsor’s local office:
Bld Petra Cetinjskog 18
Phone: +382 20 407 604
Fax: +381 20 241 616
2. Local community:
Ministry of Sustainable Development and Tourism and Montenegrin Environmental Protection Agency
IV Proleterske 19
Ulica Trg sunca 3
Stari grad 317
Trg Durmitorskih ratnika
Kralja Petra 36
3. EBRD Resident Office in Podgorica:
Serdara Jola Piletica bb
Tel: +382 20 237 173/174/175
Fax: +382 20 237 195
4. EBRD Business Information Centre, London:
One Exchange Square
London EC2A 2JN
Tel: +44 207 338 6000
The ESIA package has also been released for public review by the project sponsor on the project website at www.cges.me
Additionally the Non Technical Summary and a link to the CGES internet site are available on the EBRD internet site at www.ebrd.com.
Environmental and general enquiries:
Mr. Rade Markovic
Bulevar Svetog Petra Cetinjskog 18
Phone: +382 20 414 765
Mobile: +382 67 636 727
This document was prepared at an early stage of project development, before consideration by the EBRD Board of Directors. Details of a project may change following disclosure.
Environmental and Social Impact Assessments and ESIA summaries are produced by project sponsors, and the EBRD makes them available without any comment or implied endorsement. Any views expressed or statements made in the Environmental and Social Impact Assessment or the ESIA Summary do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the EBRD.
Last updated 25 June 2014