Translated version of this PSD: Ukrainian
EBRD is considering providing a loan for up to USD 40m to KUB-Gas LLC (“KUB-Gas”), a Ukrainian exploration and production company. KUB-Gas is, indirectly, 70%-owned and controlled by Kulczyk Oil Ventures Inc (“KOV”), a Canadian oil & gas group. The remaining 30% of KUB-Gas is indirectly owned by Gastek LLC, a Californian company. The project’s objective is the development of KUB-Gas’ on-shore gas and condensate fields in the Lugansk region, eastern Ukraine, in the period to 2013. The project will enable KUB-Gas to consolidate its position as one of Ukraine’s largest private sector hydrocarbon producers.
Through this project, the Bank will support private sector investment in the upstream natural gas industry of Ukraine which is still dominated by State-owned players. By backing KUB-Gas, the Bank will support an existing domestic producer in maximising the exploitation of its reserves and contributing to increased energy security for Ukraine. The acquisition of a controlling stake by KOV and associated skills and knowledge transfer will also contribute to strengthen transparency (including disclosure under Publish What You Pay principles), corporate governance and business and environmental practices at KUB-Gas, contributing to set higher standards for the industry in Ukraine.
The EBRD will provide financing to KUB-Gas, which has been active in the extraction and sale of natural gas and condensate from its four on-shore Ukrainian fields since 2000. The Sponsor of the project will be KOV.
EBRD is considering an up to USD 40m loan.
Up to USD 108m. Capex should include upgrading of drilling and service rigs and related equipment, purchase of a snubbing unit, drilling of new production and exploration wells, work-overs and modern stimulation techniques for existing wells, and installation of well-site compressors.
Categorised B in compliance with the Bank’s Environmental and Social Policy 2008. The independent environmental and social due diligence is currently ongoing. A site visit to the Company’s fields and operational base as well as meetings with technical, operational and HSE management have identified that the Company has sufficient resources for managing environmental, health and safety issues (EHS). The Company is also planning to hire one more HSE person prior to commencing drilling at a newly acquired license area. The head of the EHS Department reports directly to the General Director. The Company generally is in good compliance with Ukrainian regulations and only minor issues were identified during the site visit. Health and safety inductions and regular training as well as field safety and first-aid training are provided to all employees. The Company operates a strict Permit-to-Work system. The Company has developed a comprehensive Health and Safety Management Plan, which embodies a general company policy; tasks and responsibilities; local legislation requirements; procedures for implementation and monitoring of the plan; accident investigation; document processing; planning and forms and logs. The Company also develops Environmental Action Plan on a yearly basis. EHS team also conducts regular field inspections on a bi-monthly basis as well as random inspections.
Each licence areas has its Emergency Response Plan approved by all competent authorities.
The Company has a Collective Agreement, currently pending renewal, that stipulates the rights and responsibilities of the management, of the employees, labour conditions and payment of wages, working hours and leave, social security, compensation and benefits, labour safety, and resolutions of disputes.
The proposed Project will not entail any additional land-take in addition to the land acquisition process completed by the Company to date. The Company has no formal social policy or person responsible for interactions with potentially affected communities. All social issues are dealt with directly by the Director General, who regularly visits field operations and meets with the village councils. A formal Stakeholder Engagement Plan will need to be developed for the Project.
These and any other issues as may emerge upon the review of the documents submitted by the Companies will be mitigated through an Environmental and Social Action Plan that will need to be agreed with and implemented by the Company.
General Counsel/Head of Business Development
Tel: +971 4 339 5212
VP Investor Relations & Managing Director CEE
Tel: +48 22 414 21 00
For business opportunities or procurement, contact the client company.
EBRD project enquiries not related to procurement:
Tel: +44 20 7338 7168
Public Information Policy (PIP)
The PIP sets out how the EBRD discloses information and consults with its stakeholders so as to promote better awareness and understanding of its strategies, policies and operations. Please visit the Public Information Policy page below to find out how to request a Public Sector Board Report.
Text of the PIP